Chapter 14

chapter fourteen - k e n d r a

Despite the glow and positiveness of the lady, something didn't feel right. Usually, you'll be able to tell the light and darkness of a creature by their mannerisms, appearance, and opinions, but she felt different. She felt off. I had to remind myself that we're not just dealing with Fablehaven, we're dealing with the unknown that Percy and Annabeth brought with them. I knew I needed another judgment, so I tried to feel deep in my soul for the Fairy Queen's intuition, but I came up blank. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Nil. Nought. Nothing.

It was peculiar. I mean, sure, the Fairy Queen is sparse about her guidance, but there's always been a presence of right or wrong. Now it's as if it's been stripped or excavated. Now the place is hollow. This revelation fueled my suspicions of the lady and her dwelling.

I shifted on the soft couch uneasily. I didn't think this place was normal. I looked around at the room, the windows giving me a glimpse of the sky. But where in the sky or even which sky I'm seeing, if it's even real, is the question.

The gold lady studied me, the gold flecks in her eyes whirring and shifting around. Now I knew that wasn't normal. "You cannot contact the Fairy Queen, as her clairvoyance cannot pierce the field surrounding our space."

"The fairy queen? Do we have to fight her?" Percy groaned. I glanced over at him for a second to make sure he was serious.

"No, " I answered, stopping the gold lady before any words came out of her unhinged jaw, but I directed my second question at her. "What's your name?"

"Name? Names are such human concepts, " She mused. "If you need something to address me by, though, use o chrysos fylakas, or Chrysie, for short."

"That's modern Greek, not ancient..." Annabeth thought aloud. "Why..?"

"I don't care much for the past, " She snapped and the place flashed into black and white for a second. "No bright colors." She grinned.

Annabeth stood, her hands fixing her ponytail. "Are you going to answer our questions about the predicament we've found ourselves in or continue the small talk? If so, I want to leave."

"Have patience, child, " Chrysie chided. I bristled at us being called children. We was so much more than our ages. I looked over at Annabeth, for reassurance, but she was sharing a look with Percy.

"Are you a goddess?" He asked, his tone more grave, with a hint of annoyance laced in there.

"Gods no. I'm a Warden, child, " She snapped, seemingly taking offense. "Been one for millennia, ever since you two clashed."

"Excuse me?" Warren asked, his perfect illusion falling. The cloudy look left his eyes and his state turned more tense.

She noncommittally gestured to the air. "That's when your explanations come in. But be patient, its a long one.

"Since the dawn of the demigods, they've slayed powerful beasts—magical beasts—the same ones the people of preserves have striven to protect, as you can guess, conflicts have arisen. Three powerful wizards came together to form a coven to separate these two worlds. The gods supported this, but none would admit except few. One titan goddess, however, found wisdom in their belief. Her name was Thea, the Titan goddess of all that is shining. She shed some of her immortality onto these wizards, the essence taking the form of prized riches." She waved around the room. "Gold, diamonds, and rubies." She waited for that to sink in. "Primary colors, primary protectors. We are the Wardens." She flailed her arms out for dramatic effect, but she looked like a gold chicken to me.

"I'm many millennia old and I've seen many things." She paused. "And I do not believe the barrier needs to exist. So I let you in. But, it's only temporary. I can't do it the proper way since that requires the others Wardens, but I can do it...a different way."

It dawned on me why her aura felt so weird. It was tainted magic. She wants to use twisted, dark magic to accomplish this.

"Why are you telling us this?" Percy asked.

"Well, I need some ingredients. If I can get those, I won't need to use my...other plan. It's quite explosive."

"What are the ingredients?" Annabeth asked.

"Oh...just one demigod and one creature of light." Her eyes turned to me at the last word.

The room erupted into madness. Just as soon as everyone broke out their weapons and started yelling, gold chains anchored everyone down and wrapped us their bodies.

p e r c y

The chains couldn't have been pure gold since the chains were strong and unyielding. Breaking out was no use. Everyone around me was wrapped in the chains except for Chrysie who tried to smile but the strain of controlling so much substance was taking its toll on her.

"If you don't take this deal, people will die! Not just me! I'm going to unleash the force of dark magic to cripple this cursed wall. And it won't stop at that. The explosion of force will enter the homes of thousands. Soon, innocent Connecticotians will be dead and it'll be all your fault."

Her voice was wretched and I swear I saw her nose start to bleed. In one blinding flash of light, the chains were gone. And so was she.

Once everyone recovered from the shock, I asked the question everyone was thinking. "How're we going to get out of here? The only way in was through the Gold Lady's portal."

"Exactly," Annabeth replied, her grey eyes sparkling and her eyebrows furrowing. "The only way in. Not the only way out."

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

don't forget to vote <33