Chapter 20

chapter twenty - k e n d r a

Jolting up suddenly, I gasped for breath while assessing my surroundings. I was consumed by a red, fluffy comforter in a humongous bed in a room with comically over-sized appliances.

"A visitor!" screeched a diminutive fairy without wings. Her skin was blush pink with a white piled-high bun. "I never get those anymore."

"Hello? My name's Kendra, and I came to—"

"And my name is Scarlet Sehvi and you have come to cash in your wish in hopes of gaining information about Miss Chrysie, as you call her."

"How did you know that?"

"I have access to your memories, you are in my dwelling, child. But don't fret, reading your library of memories would take much more work. I just skimmed the first page of the already open book of your recent memories."

"So you know what I want?"

"Mostly. It'd be redundant for you to tell me."

"So....will you help us?"

"Well, of course, I'm bound to provide you with my information. But a more pressing matter has come to light. You believe me a scoundrel."

Her little pink face seemed to darken and I didn't know how to proceed. It wasn't like I could lie.

"You have a tinted truth," she tutted. "You have the truth the actual daughter and the then-next queen spread after my retirement. I was no tyrant!"

Her hands began to squeeze the metal railings of the bed harder and harder until finally releasing. "I apologize, child. My temperament has grown sporadic in my elder years and nothing sets me off then the lies that entwine me. Tea?"

I said yes and slid off the mammoth bed and followed her into an oversized kitchen. "Ma'am, Sehvi, if you don't mind me asking, why is everything so big?"

"Well that ties into what I'm about to explain," she fluttered over to the tabletop with a pitcher of sweet tea. "You see, I'm a shapeshifter. My complex collectively includes twenty-five houses tuned to different sizes. I set the Scarlet oath to this house a long time ago. Now, I prefer the smaller things in life." She gestured to her body.

"I most definitely am old enough to recount the tale of Miss Chrysie in all her glory. I was actually the Fairy Queen while Chrysie's became a warden. Most of the beginning you know about me is true. I was a thief and I was mistaken for her daughter and inducted. However, the tyranny part is completely blown out of proportion. You see, during my time as a ruler, Ancient Greece was gaining popularity. Most Ancient Greeks believed in us and we regularly interacted. Until," she slammed her minute fist on the marble tabletop. "The war of 400 BC. Like anything that spent too much time together, we argued. But with such large forces, it quickly erupted into a war. A very one-sided war. You see, creatures of the light will get riled up against creatures of darkness but would absolutely refuse to fight a creature with an ounce of light. Which happens to be the majority of humans. I mean, what was I going to do? Order them to fight? No, I locked down the borders and caged us in. It was the only way to survive!"

She shattered the glass she was holding but continued to recollect. "A system had to be put in place to separate the Greeks and us. Five wardens were our solution. A titan granted them gifts corresponding to shiny metals and bada-bing-bada-boom! We have a system that would regulate interrelations and push us away from each other."

"So Chrysie is a warden?"

"Yes, ma'am. A very tired warden. One who knows her job will finally end if she destroys the barrier. There is no way to destroy it other than the proper way. So she decided to combine you people in hopes of unraveling the magic. But, put everyone together? Did she learn anything from when we put the four wardens together?"

"Four? I thought you said Five."

"There was five, then four, and now there is three. They got so fed up with each other they simply fought and killed until they realized the world was round and it would make sense to spread out," she laughed like it was a nice reminiscence. "Ah. When we killed who we disagreed with. The good old days."

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

Thank you for reading!

don't forget to vote <33