Chapter 2

chapter two - s e t h

"Will you quit it?" Kendra hissed through clenched teeth.

I was only bouncing a ping pong ball. Why was she so wound-up?

It's just another possible mission, which we won't get or complete if she can't hide her obvious nervousness. Her leg was shaking and her whole body looked tense. I still wondered how she was ever picked for the Knights of Dawn before me? I mean, with those acting skills?

Dale set the laptop on the dining room table.

A precious, precious laptop. No technology was allowed since Grandpa wanted to keep Fablehaven as free from modern influences as he could.

Everyone, except Mom and Dad (they had taken a vacation for the next week or so), took a seat as Dale clicked "call." Everyone held their breath. I swear I could hear the brownies beneath the house, it was so quiet.

Ba bob, ba bob, ba bob.

Ba-zing. Warren picked up. Everyone let go of their breath.

"I smelt bubblegum in that last breath." I turned to Kendra. "Was that you?" I wanted to know where she got it.

Kendra turns almost as pink as bubblegum as she sheepishly looked around.

Grandma shhed us.

We all turned to the screen. Warren grinned, but you could see the weariness in his eyes and the disheveled hair.

"What did you find, Warren?" Grandpa asked.

Warren sighed. "I found out their names are Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase, but not much else. I know that they are both seventeen and go to Goode High, but other than that, I would need permission to go further."

"What do you mean, 'further'?" Grandma asks.

"I mean that I would need permission to bug their apartment, connect with them as an alias. But I don't think they'd be quick to befriend me. I'm practically old enough to be their father," Warren joked.

"What do you suggest?" This came from Grandpa.

Warren looked at me and Kendra.

"I suggest sending them."

a n n a b e t h

We spent the rest of the P.E. block doing the usual stretching, volleyball, and running, but the two kids didn't let up as they kept trying to eavesdrop.

Near the end, I could tell Percy was growing impatient.

"Seaweed Brain?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"Want to go pay a visit to our new friends?"

His face face lit up.

Emotions flickered across the girl's face as we got closer. Disbelief, fear, and an unconvincing mask of calm. The boy beside her only frowned.

"So, are you both new?"

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

don't forget to vote <33