Chapter 46 - A Shadow Arises - Part 3

Summary: Link attempts to reunite with the sword that seals the darkness. A menace from the past keeps advancing her goals one step further. Mipha and Link start putting together some clues about what has happened.

Link woke up the next morning, his excitement evident as he told Mipha of his dream.

"It's amazing. The last part of the dream was so clear," said Link first thing in the morning. "It was Fi's voice. I know it. She's telling me I need to go and reclaim the sword."

"Can I get our usual morning kiss first Mister Hero?" said Mipha.

"Sorry," said Link as they kissed. "I guess I am a bit over excited. I love you."

"And I love you. But are you sure about this?" said Mipha. "You said you couldn't understand other parts of the dream."

"Yes, that's true," said Link. "Parts of it were very confused with Zelda and the Great Fairy. But the last part was different. And what harm is there if I'm wrong? If the sword doesn't want me, it won't let me draw it from the stone. At most I wasted a trip to the Lost Woods. But if it is true, then this may be the answer, or at least part of the answer, to combating this evil."

"The evil we don't know anything about or that it even exists," said Mipha. "All of this just seems so uncertain at this point. All we have are dreams and limited information from the Great Fairy about a past evil. With Ganon, there were tangible warnings, like increased monster activity. But with this, nothing seems to be happening."

"I don't know," said Link thoughtfully. "Maybe things are happening and we aren't aware of them."

"Maybe," said Mipha. "Anyway, Zelda already alerted all the rulers and I shared the information with Sidon. And that's the best we can do right now. This being, assuming it does exist, is not going to be happy taking over people who have no influence. If it wants power and to stay concealed it will eventually have to target a ruler."

"Yes, that makes sense," said Link. "But to have the opportunity to secretly take over a ruler it will have to target someone close to the ruler first, a person the ruler is comfortable being alone with. And that most likely means close family. For you, that would obviously be Sidon and our children. And me too, I guess. I think we should keep two guards with all those people at all times. One guard isn't enough since the guard could be taken over first. You need three or more people together at a time."

"Do you want to tell Mila or should I?" laughed Mipha. "But I agree, and I don't care how many 'special moments' are ruined. I want us all to be safe and that's all there is to it. I'll just explain we continue to be in a heightened state of alert."

Mipha thought for a moment.

"As for the sword, by all means, go to the Lost Woods with my prayers for a safe journey," said Mipha. "I trust your judgment. At least about fighting evil, that is. My worry is how you will handle things if you're wrong. I can see you've gotten your hopes up very high about this. I think a couple of guards should travel with you. Aside from safety, as we just discussed, I worry you may be depressed coming home all alone if things don't go as you expect. They could provide some good company."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," said Link. "What reason do I give the guards for suddenly going to retrieve the sword now? Are they not going to suspect something is wrong?"

"If anyone asks just tell the truth, say that you don't know if there is any threat but that Queen Zelda has asked everyone to be extra vigilant," said Mipha. "I am meeting with Captain Larah later today to tell her exactly that and so she knows about the double guards."

"Alright, if it will make you worry less, then I'll go with two guards," said Link. "The sword location is secret, though, so no one but a member of the Hyrule Royal Family could go with me on the final part of the trip, though Zelda made an exception for you once when I returned the sword. So, I have to do that part of the journey alone in any case. But I doubt this evil being penetrated the Lost Woods and is waiting to ambush me."