04

EXPERIMENTS
ELEANOR'S POV

He picked me up and brought me to the room. It was not big and had one bed. There was a tiny closet which I guessed had clothes in it. There was also a door to the left, at the end of the bed, that I assumed was a bathroom.

"Sit there." He ordered, pointing to a chair in the corner. He went over to grab something out of the bathroom. He came back and told me to turn around so my back was facing him. "This might sting."

He poured a liquid down my back and it stung. Not as much as before but it still stung. I grit my teeth and clenched my fist as to not make a sound.

"I'm sorry. I know it hurts." He told me. The burning stopped and I felt him dabbing my back with a cloth. It stung too but it was feeling better. When he finished that, he rubbed a cold cream on to the wounds. It instantly started feeling better.

"I need to bandage you so the stuff I put on won't come off." I nodded. "Can you help me? I don't want to make you uncomfortable." I nodded my head again.

He handed me the bandage roll and I wrapped it around my front then passed it to him to do the back. We continued this until almost my whole back was cover because that's where all the wounds were.

"You should sleep. He would want you awake for tomorrow." The soldier told me. I stood up and walked over to the bed. I laid down and my back already hurt again.

I woke up and it was still dark. I figured I got about an hour a half of sleep that night. The soldier was asleep in the chair he had fixed me up in. He didn't deserve to sleep in an uncomfortable chair.

I groggily got out of the bed and tapped him on his shoulder. His eyes shot open and grabbed my wrist hard. I gritted my teeth again as to not let out a pained scream. He looked down at my wrist and let go.

"What?" He asked. He was clearly agitated. I pointed to the bed. "No. I'm fine."

He closed his eyes again trying to block me out. I grabbed hold of his hand and yanked him up. I pulled him to the bed, which was not far, and went and sat in the chair instead.

"You don't have to. I was fine." I shook my head and closed my eyes trying to get a minute more of sleep.

I was grabbed awake by a guard dragging me to the lab. He dropped me down on top of a table an strapped me down. I didn't fight. I didn't resist. The doctor from yesterday came over to me. He was carrying a tray full of syringes and clasps and such.

"Good morning, Malina. Did you sleep well?" He asked, knowing full well I wouldn't respond. I wouldn't disobey him. I knew better.

"Well, today we're going to see what this new experiment does. Let's hope it doesn't kill you." He smiled.

He set down the tray and grabbed a syringe. He flicked it in front of my face to show me what he would use. He pinched my arm and inserted the syringe. He pushed the orange liquid into my bloodstream and it burned. Worse than whatever happened to my back. It felt as though my body was on fire. My heart rate I could feel increasing. I screamed. I didn't care about the no talking rule I had. I was in pain. So much unbearable pain.

"Now now, Malina. Don't scream or you know what will happen."

I couldn't help it. I screamed and I shook. My body was not ok with this foreign substance coming into my blood. After what felt like years of pain, it stopped. I still shook but it wasn't as bad as whatever torture that was.

"Good. Now, we'll have to wait for it to settle. In the meantime, you broke a rule." He waved his hand and a middle-aged guard came into the room. He grabbed me by my waist instead of my arm, unlike most guards who would grab me by my arm. I felt him squeeze hard around me hurting my bandaged back and stomach. He brought me to a room with a big tank of water. I knew what this was. This was water torture. 

He pushed me to my knees in front of the tub and grabbed me by my hair. He pushed me under for about a minute. I couldn't breathe and I thought I was definitely going to die. He raised me up for about 5 seconds then back down. He held me under as I shook and kicked around for maybe 40 seconds. He pulled me up and forced me to look in his eyes.

"I would do more, but you've had enough." He said grimly. He walked me back to the room and shoved me down on the floor. 

I got up on to the bed and sat there. I didn't expect the soldier to come back that night. So, I laid on the bed and tried to sleep. It didn't work much, but focusing on resting made it go by fast.