Chapter Twelve

I was inside of Jessica's head again. There better be a good reason for this, I thought. I didn't exactly enjoy being in Jessica's body. Well, I guess it was more her clothing than her body. She was wearing athletic shorts, a softball tournament T-shirt, and athletic shoes. Which, I'm not saying there was anything wrong with her outfit, just totally not my style. Like at all. And, to top it off, her hair was pulled into a tight bun that pulled at her scalp and made my head hurt. I missed what my body back in Baron's cabin was wearing. I was wearing a dark wash cuffed jean short with a purple flowy tank top and beaded sandals.

The self that was inside of Jessica frowned. Well, let's get this over with, I told myself.

I let my mind melt into Jessica's. I became Jessica once again.

...

"Please tell me, why are we so important?" Jessica asked R. K, her curiosity reigning over her fear. I was proud of her for that.

"Now is not the time," R. K. said, finally sounding annoyed with her questions. He was flipping quickly through a large book that had been set on the coffee table.

Jessica dared to ask one more question. "Wait, you said that the diamonds made us 'hop' when you switched dimensions. How does that even happen?"

"Well, yes. That is one gift of many that the diamond carries," R. K. said absently. Then, he made a face of disgust and looked up from his book to sniff the air. "What is that smell?"

Smell? Jessica thought. Then it occurred to her that she had a few cloves of garlic in her pocket. "Why?" she asked hopefully. "Does it bother you?"

R. K. let out a small sigh. "The smell of garlic is annoying, but it's nothing that will kill me, dear." He went back to flipping through his book as though his life depended on it.

It made Jessica very uncomfortable when R. K. called her 'dear.' It made me uncomfortable as well. Not knowing what he was up to was driving both Jessica and me nuts.

Baron stepped into the living room from another room. He whispered something urgent into R. K's ear.

"Perfect," R. K. replied with an evil smile spread across his face. "Matthew, give me that watch around your wrist. Now," R. K. said as he held out his hand to Matt.

"Why?" Matt asked, defensively covering his watch with his other hand.

"Just give it to me!" R. K. roared, thrusting his hand towards Matt once again.

Matt held up both his hands and said in the smallest voice I have ever heard from him, "Okay." He took off his watch with shaky fingers and held it out to R. K. who snatched it from his hand. Jessica opened her mouth and was about to object when Baron gave her a look that said Shut-up or else. She closed her mouth.

R. K. held the watch in front of his face with a winning smile that showed he clearly felt as though he had succeeded. "Bursula has out done herself once again. The spell in finally broken." R. K. observed the watch closely. "Yes, as I thought," He walked over to Matt and held it close to his face. R. K. pointed a finger at the watch and said, "Look at this, right here. You see a little diamond?" He continued without an answer from Matt. "Now, do you know how powerful this little piece of diamond is? No? Hmm, I didn't think so. This diamond has the power to make me immortal. But, not you of course. The Collinion Diamond will prevent you from dying by something violent, like being shot by a gun or whatever it is you humans like to kill each other with. And of course in my case, it would prevent death from being stabbed in the heart by a... well there's no need to give you any ideas. This diamond will make me, not you, immortal because I can already not die from old age or sickness. Life is funny, don't you think? I just can't understand is why people refuse to be turned. I, personally, see no downside."