Chapter Thirteen

I opened my eyes to the same scene I was seeing from Jessica's perspective, but from my own eyes. Thank goodness.

I sat up in the chair I was sitting in. "What's all the yelling about?" I asked half-jokingly, causing the room to silence.

"Oh, Kate!" Matt shouted. "Thank God you're okay!" He, Jessica, and Ashley all ran over to trap me in an unbreathable hug.

I was sort of hoping what I had seen wasn't true, just an extremely vivid dream, but seeing them here made me reconsider. I would have told them what I saw, but I wasn't in the mood to be called a lunatic. I mean, how was I supposed to tell them that I had just witnessed everything they saw and did from inside of Jessica's mind?

"You thought that I had been bitten by a vampire? Quite a change of reference you're having, Mr. Matt," I said, trying to lighten up the mood in the room. It didn't work.

"What did that man do to you?" Matt asked, looking me square in the face.

"Nothing, he actually helped me understand what's going on. I mean, a very small percentage of what's going on, but still some more answers and a lot more questions which I guess could be good. Although, Jonathan is still refusing to tell me something that we're apparently not ready to know."

"Are you sure you're alright?" Matt asked giving Jonathan a look that said he did not trust him.

"Yes, yes." I paused. "I'm guessing you know that R. K. won't stop with us until he gets what he wants, whatever it is," I said with sudden seriousness.

"He wants the diamond jewelry that Mom gave us. He wants to be immortal," Jessica told me, not realizing I already knew.

"There's more than that, though. He's taunting us too much for just some pieces of jewelry, no matter how important they actually are." I changed the subject. One problem at a time. "Okay, well I think we should start focusing on figuring out how we're going to get ourselves out of this mess," I said, referring to the cabin situation.

I stood up from my chair and walked over to pick up both jars of fairy dust off the table. "Well," I said, looking to Jonathan, "are you going to come help me?"

"Oh, yes, certainly," Jonathan said as he rushed over to me.

We walked over into the room where all the people were stored. I flipped the light back on and stared at the sea of people before me. I really hopped the fairy dust worked.

I handed one of the jars to Jonathan before I took a handful of the blue fairy dust out of the jar I kept for myself. "Just sprinkle it over them?" I asked. "And that will work?" Jonathan told me yes so I sprinkled the dust over the woman closest to me. She had bright red hair seemed to be in her mid-twenties. The woman was holding onto a little girl's hand that lay to her right. The little girl was about four and had the same bright red hair as her mother.

The lady's body became more lifelike; her cheeks became more flushed and her hair began to look healthier. Her eyes shot open and she sat up quickly, looking beyond confused. "It's working," I whispered in amazement. "It's pulling them back." I quickly grabbed more dust from the jar and sprinkled it over the little girl.

I glanced over at Jonathan, he was sprinkling people with the dust too, but going at a much quicker rate than I was.

I turned my head towards Matt, Jessica, and Ashley. They were standing in the doorway just watching us in amazement.

"Come on!" I shouted, waving them into the room. "Help us get these people back to our dimension. Just sprinkle the fairy dust over them. It has some sort of magic that can go into the pocket dimension to pull the people back into our dimension."