Chapter Fifteen

"Kate, honey, what are you talking about?" Dad asked gently. He stepped backwards so he could see me better up behind the upstairs hallway railing.

I looked at him through my frustration tear filled eyes.

"Dad," I said. I pursed my lips then continued slowly, "R. K. Rose might try to kill us in order to get the diamonds that Mom gave us. Or, he might make us his personal vampire slaves. Honestly, I'd rather he kill us. Not that I want to die or anything. I'd rather stay alive for the time being. Sorry, back on topic. R. K. already took Matt's diamond out of his watch last night."

"Kate," Dad said slowly, "you really need to tell us the whole story. I need every single detail of what has happened while we have been gone. Start when you first met R. K. This is very important. I will probably be able to help you if you tell me everything."

I nodded and all that happened between us and R. K. spilled out. Jessica filled in about the parts that I wasn't there for, even though I knew what happened because I saw it through her eyes and all. I was hoping that how I saw all that was some weird twin thing. But the idea that maybe I was a freak who had visions kept popping back into my mind. Maybe that was the "fifth generation" thing that Mom was writing about?

"I can't believe you found the passageway," Dad commented when I was done. "When we bought this house, the realtor mentioned how this house was connected to two others. It was a part of the transportation and hiding of alcohol during the prohibition. The entrance had been sealed off once it was over because they didn't have use for it anymore."

Ashley placed her chin on the railing and said, very matter-of-factly, "Magic unsealed it."

Gilda put her hands on her hips. "Okay, the one part I don't understand is why you brought a man that you'd just met back to our house and offered him a room to stay in," Gilda said. "I mean, it's not like he's dangerous or anything and I understand that he's an old friend of your father's. But, still, I'd thought you would have been taught better."

"There hasn't exactly been anyone here to teach us lately," I said coolly, as I glared down at my parents.

Dad was about to say something back, but then he ended up just nodding and not saying a word. Gilda looked down at her feet.

Matt looked at Gilda, interrupting the shame fest, and asked, "So that was the only info that confused you about all this? Nothing about the whole vampire revelation fazed you at all?"

"Well, your father informed me of the existence of those creatures after we were married," Gilda said, picking at her polished fingernails.

"Are you freaking kidding me?" I spat. "Sure, tell your new wife that has nothing to do with any of it, but please, keep your children, who are the guardians of the diamond, in the dark. Nice plan, Dad. Really, well thought out." I crossed my arms and continued to glare.

"Wait a second," Ashley said before my dad could explain. "Do you hear that?" We all listened. I heard a knocking coming from downstairs.

"Hello? Hello?" I heard a hoarse voice say. "Are you guys out there? Hello? Would you let me out of this stupid bathroom?"

"Oh, crap," Matt said, realization spreading across his face.

Jessica and I looked at each other and said in unison, "Maddie."

"I cannot believe we forgot about her," I said incredulously.

Jessica, Ashley, Matt, and I pounded down the stairs and to the bathroom. I jiggled the knob a little and forced open the door.