chapter one - "you okay?"

my best friend samantha gave my hand a gentle squeeze as we made our way through the crowd of people, here to see the heartthrob alternative band - the neighbourhood.

"you nervous?" she asked.

"nah, why would i be?"

"good point."

the last time i had gone to their concert was a while back, but the memories were just as clear as what i was currently seeing in front of me. i had been a 'fan' of them since they had shown up on the internet, but i hadn't seen them in concert until about a year or two later. and here i am, at my second show - at the greek theatre.

we passed the merch table, where most people had gathered around.

"omg, i'm sure jesse looks super hot today. i can't wait to hear sweater weather... that's literally their only good song, i love it so much!"

i rolled my eyes. some of these so-called fans are way too fake...

--

"over here nikki," sammy said, leading me to a group of guys who worked at the arena. "how can we help you ladies?" the tallest one asked. samantha handed over our tickets, asking where we should go. "damn, best seats in the house," the guy said, examining the tickets. "where they at? i'll take 'em," his friend (or coworker) said from behind. "in the pit, first row, right in the center... this is gonna be one hell of a concert for the both of you," the tall one smiled, handing the tickets to his friend, who then escorted us to our seats.

"wow nik, i knew we had good seats... but how did you manage to get these ones?!" sam gasped, staring up at the stage.

i tried to speak, but i honestly couldn't. i looked behind me, examining how far out the arena stretched - remembering how i myself was all the way in the back in the previous concert i had gone to. i was right where i wanted to be, and i couldn't be happier.

my long thoughts were interrupted with a horrible, high pitched voice coming from right under my ear.

"my daddy paid the best money to get me these seats! oh, i am so glad to be here," i heard, instantly recognizing the girl's voice.

"meanwhile you love their 'only good song' rather than all of their music," i scoffed under my breath. to my surprise, she heard me. "excuse me?" she whined, firmly grabbing my shoulder and turning me around to face her. "ellie, she's not worth your time," her friend said, staring me in the eye. "the only thing not worth ellie's time is this concert, considering she's only here to see jesse's hotness," i said angrily. "nik, calm down," sammy whispered in my ear. "don't talk to me like that, you skank. as if you're here for any other reason than to see jesse," ellie fought back. "actually, you're wrong. i'm here to see jesse, zach, mikey, brandon, and jeremy," i said. "um, who the hell is jeremy?" ellie's friend asked, a confused look on her face. "my point exactly. jesse's not the only one in the neighbourhood, and if jesse's all you see, then you shouldn't be here. also, sweater weather isn't their only good song. if you were true to them, you'd know all the others," i explained.

"yo, she's right..."

instantly, the fully packed arena was flooded with the sound of screaming girls and cheering guys. i turned over to see jesse rutherford, looking down on me, with a smile on his face. he hopped down the stage and stood right at the barrier, about a foot away from me. he leaned in so only he and i could hear each other. for a split second, all the sound was drained out of my ears, my vision was focused on him - all i could see and hear was jesse.

"what's your name sweetheart?" he spoke to my ear. "nikki," i responded with a shaky voice. he gave my shoulder a little nudge before hopping back up on the stage. "special thanks to my friend nikki for being fucking awesome," he spoke into the microphone, "and also for being able to prove a pretty good point." he eyed ellie before giving me a little wink. the fans around me instantly started freaking out, while ellie stood there with her arms crossed.