Chapter 10

"You gotta get those MGs!"
Crouched up in yet another barn, I watched as Pierson and Daniels used sniper rifles to take out the weaponry. Perez and the other rank were pinned, unable to press forwards without risking another loss; minutes ago a second Allied tank had been destroyed.
"MGs are cleared," Pierson's scratchy, loud voice echoed out.
Daniels faced me, a look of slight tiredness on his features. His blue eyes were hard, however, and they almost brightened when he saw me. I gave a supportive nod, a hope that this would soon be over.
"There are still Krauts out there, but we have to reach those bunkers," Pierson looked back out across the landscape before facing me. His dark eyes narrowed in doubt. "You stay on my ass, got it?"
"Yes," I was surprised he was actually managing to make sure I stayed somewhat safe.
Pierson and I exited the barn, following Daniels across the field to the bunkers and trenches. The tanks were moving forwards, pushing for the hill. I managed to stay right on Pierson's ass, even when we had to dive for cover under the heat of bullets. I held my helmet, steadying it on my head, as the dust came to a stop and the bullets dwindled.
"Move up!" Pierson told everyone as the Germans were cleared.
"Hey, its Turner!" Zussman announced and hustled up the hill.
Pierson went ahead, leaving me last to appear at the top of the hill, which turned into a road. I felt Turner quickly scan to make sure I was still present and then he averted his attention to something in the distance.
"CO approaching."
I glanced down the road, seeing two figures sitting in a vehicle coming our way. My heart traveled to my throat when I realized one of them was Colonel Davis. Out of anxiety, I stepped partially behind Stiles. He glanced at me and then shifted his elbow to motion I should pretend to look at his pack.
I fiddled with the zippers and straps, looking busy as I glanced Davis' way. I had no idea if he knew anything or if Turner had told him anything. For Turner's sake, I would imagine he hadn't.
"Charlie Company is under assault near the church. They need ammo and fire support. Send a squad immediately."
Well that was one way to give orders.
I could see the hesitation in Turner's shoulders. "Sir, we're already stretched pretty thin."
Next to Turner, adjacent to Davis, Pierson lowered his head and sent me a glare. I gazed back at him, narrowing my eyes and striving to dig apart his dark eyes. For once, I could tell, it wasn't completely out of hate. If anything it looked like he was in between a threat and a warning.
He didn't want me to allow Davis to notice who I was or that I was still around.
I tore my gaze away, fiddling with another set of zippers. Stiles shifted, hiding me just slightly more.
"Then stretch thinner!"
To the strict words of the Colonel, I almost allowed my jaw to unclench. I glanced yet again towards Turner, who took the response completely unruffled. He simply saluted his leader.
"Yes sir!"
As Davis returned the gesture, the driver of the vehicle reversed and took off back the way they'd come. I moved away from Stiles, Zussman throwing me a nervous look.
"Shit," Turner spat in a low grumble.
"We can take the jeeps, but we're gonna need our armor," Pierson looked after Davis and then faced Turner.
Turner nodded. "That's the plan." He directed his voice towards Perez. "Pierson'll follow you with the squad."
"Can't do it," Perez was sitting up out of his hatch; it reminded me of a meerkat. "Just got orders from Collins. We're heading west with the 11th."
"God dammit," Turner hissed again, face to face with Pierson now.
My eyes flickered over the boys, all of their attention turned to their two upperclassmen. Their gazes held doubt and trust, an odd combination. I wasn't sure exactly what they were doubting--their Lieutenant or the mission ahead of them.
"You're on your own," Turner decided for Pierson. "Take the jeeps and head out. Move!"
"All right," Pierson raised his voice so everyone could hear. "Charlie's up shit creek and we're the paddle. Let's go!"
"Go with them, Avaline," Turner looked at me and I gazed back.
He was sending me under the care of someone who clearly wanted me dead? Was he insane? Where the hell was he going to be anyways?
Instead of arguing, I simply gave the man a nod.
Pierson looked to the passenger seat once I headed over to his jeep. I hopped in, glancing up at Aiello, who was to fire the turret right above my freaking head. Stiles sat in an extra seat by Aiello. Ahead, Daniels and Zussman were in their own jeep.
We zoomed off towards the Charlie company in danger, the ride bouncy. It wasn't long into the race that we ran into Germans...literally.
Daniels fired his turret, spraying bullets into soldiers who still ran. Aiello would hit them in a second wave, most falling down. Those who didn't...Pierson didn't weave around them, that was for sure.
To the clunks of bodies, splattering of blood, and bumpy ride, I felt so incredibly queasy. It didn't help that my stomach was empty and clenching in hunger.
"Ah, shit," I grumbled and leaned over the side of the jeep, gripping it for dear life.
I emptied my empty stomach--except for breakfast hours earlier--along the road as we zoomed. My throat burned as if I'd thrown up alcohol and, once I sat up, my head was spinning. I touched the side of my head in dizziness.
Of course, as soon I righted myself, I needed to go again.
I leaned out, puking once more. My eyes closed for a split second as I wheezed, gagged for air. Suddenly I was thrown sideways--or forwards from my angle. Pierson had thrown the jeep sideways to avoid a rocket, piling me out towards the ground. I went to catch myself, bracing my arms against the side as I felt my legs come up as well.
Someone grabbed me from behind, tugging on my pack to steady me. As the jeep balanced out and kept sprinting over the terrain, I was able to gather myself and sit back in the seat correctly. As I did, the grasp on my pack let go.
As his hand returned strictly back on the wheel, Pierson looked at me from the corner of his eye. I panted, sweat beginning to form at the edge of my brow. I studied the side of Pierson's determined face, suddenly so mesmerized.
He'd saved me.
The bastard had done something to show he cared.
Not that he'd ever admit it.
"Fuck," Aiello shouted over the commotion, disgusted from my actions.
"Shut it or next time I'll make sure it hits you!"
Stiles choked in a bit of laughter and then quickly retained himself, remembering we were in the middle of a war zone. I smirked and touched my stomach in queasiness.
"We're almost there!" Pierson snapped as we rounded through buildings, Aiello and Daniels firing.
Stiles fired off rounds, choosing to save most of his ammunition. I ducked as bullets came at the front of the vehicle and silently thanked Pierson for being a good driver.
I kept my head down for the rest of the battle that went down to save Charlie company. It didn't seem like long before everything stopped either.
"Set up a perimeter by the road!" Pierson commanded as the jeeps stopped and laid waste to the remaining Germans.
I watched as any who were remaining either dropped or raised their arms in surrender. Their eyes were wide, fearful even, from being taken over.
"Rally up!" Pierson commanded, exiting the jeep.
I followed, slamming the short door as Aiello jumped out. He gave me an uneasy glare and I shrugged. Stiles came around the other side, nearing me as we did what Pierson had said. Few men looked at me, some not realizing and others not caring who I was.
All of them were so incredibly war-tired...drained.
"Thanks for showing up when you did," a man said as Stiles helped him stand.
"Thank Davis, it was his orders," Pierson paced, looking around and raising his arms up and down. "It's too late to press on. Looks like you boys got a reprieve."
Stiles raised a finger. "Scuse me Sergeant..."
"Yeah?"
"Isn't half the Kraut army on the other side of those buildings? Shouldn't we find a better place to set up a perimeter?"
"Sure Private. Why don't you book us a room at the Ritz?"
I watched Zussman step forwards, confronting him. "Sir."
Pierson had a look of death on his face once more.
"He's scared is all," Zussman lowered his voice.
Pierson narrowed his eyes. "Why don't you worry about your own problems? Like how that side is gonna hold up tomorrow."
I winced to the constant, unending torment from the older man. Did he have any emotion? Why was he such a hard ass? It annoyed me to no end.
"I'm right as rain Sergeant."
Pierson didn't reply, instead turning to Daniels. He lowered his voice and murmured something that only Daniels could hear. I noticed Daniels' face grow slightly paler.
"Rest up boys," Pierson drew away from Daniels, glancing from the soldier to Stiles and around. "We take Marigny at first light."
He moved past me, pretending I didn't exist, and went to give more orders. I glanced between Zussman and Daniels, who saw my plan before I even executed it. They opened their mouths as I spun around and walked after Pierson.
"Pierson," I called, marching after him.
When he didn't slow down, I rushed more to catch up. My hand outstretched to touch his clothed bicep. He rounded to me, a storm brewing underneath himself. It was as if he was holding back all of his strength upon looking at me.
"Are there any wounded? Anything I can do?"
"Figure it out yourself."
Before he turned to rush off once more, I slightly stepped in front of him. His dark eyes glared downwards, making my body quiver. I wanted to go bury myself in a hole, but I gazed up into his orbs despite my discomfort.
"Before you go and rush off, I just wanted to thank you," I narrowed my eyes. "If it weren't for you, I would've tumbled over the side of the jeep."
Pierson was quiet for long moment, simply glaring down at me. I could tell there were hidden emotions swirling, something he was trying to keep secret.
"Go get rest, Avaline," my name coming off his lips felt like acid to the ears and I winced.
He shrugged past me without another word.

--•--•--•--

The land was rugged, destroyed from the effects of battle. Ash from corpses and machinery flittered around, landing upon permanent sections for the duration of the war. Surely, nothing would be cleaned up until the end of the war. Even then, it would take years before the environment would heal...before buildings were rebuilt or completely taken down because they couldn't be.
"I wonder what it looked before all this," someone spoke from behind me.
    I shifted, releasing my weight from the broken frame of the home. My legs swung at the edge of jagged flooring, which creaked if I moved just right. I looked over my shoulder and saw Zussman casually strolling to the opening.
I looked back at the foreign landscape. "Nothing like it does now, I'm sure."
Zussman sat on a chair up against the wall next to me. "Are you holding up alright?"
"As alright as a girl can be in this situation," I shrugged.
Zussman was quiet for a moment. "How are you here, Ava?"
I sucked in a breath. "I said I didn't know."
"How can you come halfway across the world and say you don't know how you did it?"
I looked down at my palms, dirty from the day. "I don't know. I really truly don't."
I refused to tell him the truth. How I was sporadically shoved through time.
"You should get some rest," Zussman changed the subject. "We're going to have a long day tomorrow too I'm sure."
"I doubt I'll be able to sleep with that going on," I looked out to the fits of bullets into the air--the war still raging on into the night. "It causes unease."
"Can't argue there," Zussman pulled out a cigarette, lighting it cautiously. "Want one?"
I shook my head and wiggled away from the edge. My pack sat nearby, almost screaming for sleep as well. I sat cross-legged across from Zussman.
"So tell me about Pierson, what's up with him?"
"Huh," Zussman flicked his cig. "What isn't. I don't know myself, but I've heard ever since an incident in a battle located in the Kasserine Pass he's been different according to those who knew him before."
"Interesting."
"I wouldn't try changing anything. He's...he could lose it."
"I'm not worried," I whispered and looked away.
Zussman's kind green eyes continued to study me while I double checked supplies in my pack. While I didn't like him as much as he seemed to cling to me, I did enjoy the feeling of comfort and safety underneath his gaze. For a single moment in the strange and horrifying world, I could pretend none of it was happening.
"Go get some rest," Zussman suggested again. "Daniels and I will keep watch."
I sighed and shoved supplies into my pack once more, an endless and mindless cycle. "I told you I won't be able to."
"What if I tell you a bedtime story?"
"Very funny," I rolled my eyes.
"There's a couch over there," Zussman looked to the beaten up red furniture.
"There's no getting out of it with you," I groaned and went over to the couch, dropping my pack.
I clutched onto the small pillow at the edge, tucking into the back of the couch. I had to admit, it was surprisingly cozy. The weather was just chilly.
"Now you come up here," Zussman looked to Daniels bouncing up the steps, rifle in hands.
Daniels rolled his eyes and then spotted me. "Found a spot?"
"Forced to find one," I glared over at Zussman and he shrugged.
"She won't go to sleep."
"You can't force her to," Daniels sucked in a breath. "It's hard to rest here."
I stuck my tongue out at Zussman and then huddled deeper into the couch. To the comfort of the pillow, I allowed my eyes to slide close. My legs curled into an infant position, gathering as much warmth as I could.
"I'm surprised she's how she is," Zussman murmured. "Any other woman I've met would've gotten killed already."
"I don't know where she came from or why she's here, but she's special," Daniels replied lowly. "It hasn't been long and she's already gotten to Pierson."
"Barely," Zussman's gaze was on my resting face. "All I know is if Turner tries to get her out of here again, I'm going to be bummed."
"I don't think he will."
As their voices died off into the night, I couldn't help but open an eye. Both of them were looking out of the opening, their stances almost defensive, their posture straight. I bit my lower lip in an appreciative smile and then rolled over to get some sleep.

--•--•--•--

Apologies this is so late, it's been a very long day... and will most likely be a very long weekend...not in the good way unfortunately.
Next chapter will move forward with Ava finally getting to show some of her "skills!" You ready?
Hope you enjoyed!
Song: Man or Monster by Sam Tinnesz (ft. Zayde Wolf)
~MS~