Chapter 21

It had been four weeks since moving out of Paris into Aachen. Since we were pressing into German territory, patrols were more frequent and there wasn't a day I did nothing--all of us were busy. Turner had grown more tense as well. His relationship with Pierson had grown into consistent arguments and stabs. I had yet to know their history, but I knew it was deep, whatever it was.
    I continued to train, becoming stronger than before and learning more about close combat and weaponry. I was more comfortable shooting different guns and extremely accurate with almost all. Aiello and I were figuring out I had a knack for using a sniper rifle. Zussman would point out my weak spots in hand-to-hand. Daniels would give me general tips no matter what I was doing. Stiles gave more specific and technical hints, especially configurations and mathematical properties of grenades; I was the only one who would tolerate his "college" moments, as Aiello called them.
    I learned more about the guys. About past, present, and future aspects to each. I would give peeks at my life as well, careful to not say too much and risk it all. Over the weeks, we'd grown closer than ever before. I still got flicked shit by them, but it was more friendly. I felt as if I was a little sister, though I was older than Daniels by months.
    We went through Stiles' birthday. We worked out in routines together, often running as a group in mornings we weren't assigned much. I found when I struggled, one of them would come along and lift me up. I found myself aiding them when it came to learning more about medicine or educating them about womanly questions--some of those latter conversations became rather interesting.
    "So what do you with this again? Poke people?" Zussman poked at Aiello with the chrome-colored tool.
"It separates out deeper wounds, especially for tendons, muscles, stuff like that," I said, amused, as I rinsed a cloth in a bin set up for the tent.
Zussman set the tool down in disgust and then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "Some of this shit scares me."
"Oh you baby," Stiles teased.
"At least in terms of his stomach," Daniels agreed.
"Hey, at least I-"
"We have wounded!" someone shouted as they hustled in from a patrol.
Four guys were carrying a bloody soldier. I watched as they jogged to one of the medical stations, the one we were at specifically. I motioned to the table and the men set down the wounded soldier in caution.
"What happened?"
"Stepped on a hidden bouncing betty," one of the squad explained.
I examined the man as I worked at helping the biggest wounds first. He was missing the lower half of his left arm and his legs were stripped to almost nothing. His lips showed he'd been bleeding out of his mouth off and on.
Grabbing onto the freshly rinsed cloth, I tried to wrap the bottom of his missing arm. Aiello came over to help tie a tourniquet higher up. I moved to his legs, trying to stop the bleeding with more of the same thing, but blood was still soaking and sputtering out.
You can't save him, Ava.
"My family," the man choked out.
I hustled to his head, looking down on his twisted face in concern. He dropped a ring into my hand with his good arm, looking into my eyes as if he wasn't even wounded. I let out a breath, slowly nodding.
With my nod, the man looked to the top of the tent and then sighed. Blood came through his lips and he sighed again, shaking as he exhaled. Then there was no movement and no sound.
"No!" his squad members wailed, throwing themselves around and turning away from the tent in pain.
"He's dead," I whispered, looking over his wounds, his twitching body. "I let him die."
"The hell you did," Aiello gripped my shoulder. "You did everything you could."
I silently hyperventilated as I watched a fly come in to check out the exposed flesh. The bug rubbed its legs together and then dug in. I felt sick and closed my eyes.
"We'll take him," the squad leader spoke softly. "We'll deal with his body."
I nodded and let them lift the bloody dead soldier off the table. As they walked away, I stared at the blood pooled on the table. I watched it drip off to the dust below and stain the ground permanently.
"We'll clean this up," Daniels offered.
"No, you don't have to deal with it," I whispered, raising my gaze to the men around me.
"Take that to Turner," Aiello looked at my closed bloody fist. "He'll know where to send it to get it home to the man's family."
I opened my hand to look at the engraved ring, a symbol for the soldier I would never know the meaning of. Going to the wash bin, I rinsed my hands as best I could. Blood still stained my uniform, but I didn't care. What sight would be new around the base?
"Thank you boys," I murmured as I slipped out of the canopy and headed for the darkest tent in the area.
While there were multiple highly ranked officers and soldiers, Turner's particular command tent was the darkest. It was often that Colonel Davis would hold meetings in the large tent with multiple people. Rarely had I seen Turner in the last few weeks as well. Whenever I did, it was in passing and he never paid attention.
"This isn't your decision!" Turner was arguing as I neared the wall tent's flap.
"You should look at other options," came hissy reply back.
I cleared my throat anyways, announcing my presence, and stepped in. "Sir."
The tent grew silent as I stepped in. Two pairs of dark eyes snapped to me as I straightened and let the flap close behind me. Their eyes were scanning me all over, as if it had been years since seeing me. I likely looked more muscular and filled out to them. I know my features had hardened over the rough patrols. I also knew I held myself differently with drill practice from Aiello. They probably felt like they were looking at a new addition at first.
"Avaline," Turner greeted, his voice smooth despite the arguing seconds earlier.
    "Sir, I wanted to let you know we lost a soldier today," I spoke calmly, holding Turner's gaze. "I...I couldn't save him. His wounds were too heavy."
    "You can't save everyone, Ava," Turner replied softly, saying just what I needed to hear.
I thought back to the jolting body of the soldier, the blood pouring over the table edges to the ground. The blood was so strong that I had been sure I was tasting it on my tongue, the metallic make up of it. If I would've focused on stopping the blood rather than...no, his death was inevitable. With wounds from the bouncing betty, there had been no chance. I couldn't hang that on myself.
    I responded with the first thing that came to my head besides gory details. "I know that sir."
    "I'm sure you tried your best."
    I dipped my head, ignoring the consistent stare from Pierson; I was actually impressed it wasn't a glare.
    "Thank you for reporting to me."
    "He gave me this to give to his family back home. If I may," I stepped forwards to Turner's nod, setting the ring on Turner's desk.
    "It will go to them then. What was the name?"
"I'm unsure, one of his closer comrades will tell you if you wish for me to send one of them in."
"Very well."
    "Thank you sir. May I be dismissed?"
    "Not quite," Turner looked me up and down. "I'm curious to know how you've changed so much in so little time."
    I glanced to where the taller Pierson was still watching me and smiled. "Training. Daily. Along with the patrol orders you send out. The boys have been a big help too."
    "I see," Turner studied me. "Are you prepared to go on another one this evening?"
"Sir?" I raised an eyebrow.
"There is an operation that Pierson will be leading tonight. Stealth only. I want you to go with him."
"Okay," I shook my head once in a mistake. "Yes sir."
"Excellent," Turner looked to a silently calculating Pierson. "Be ready by 2300 at the east gates. Pierson will debrief you in your travels."
I dipped my head once more.
"You're dismissed, Baker."
I spun on my heels and exited the tent quicker than I'd entered. Upon breaking the line of sight from both of the intimidating men, I let out a breath. It'd felt like years since seeing, or speaking, to them. Doing so had been...nerve wracking to a degree.
"What's with the face for?" Aiello questioned from where he was unloading a pack of cigarettes from a supply stash.
I continued towards him, my eyes focused on the pack. "I'm going on a...patrol of sorts later tonight."
"What's the paleness for?"
"It's with Pierson."
Aiello made an O with his lips, shock hitting him like it had me. "I see."
"Put the body over there," someone spoke.
Two of the men from the team were carrying the puffy body of the man I'd seen die in my fluster. I stared at the body, my face growing cold, lips tight and frozen. My palms grew sweaty upon seeing the open mouth, covered and drooling dried blood, and the emotionless, beady eyes. The body of the man was glaring at me, blaming me.
"Ava," someone lightly shook my arm, as if doing it before.
I blinked away from the hateful corpse and faced Aiello, who was extremely concerned. My eyes then shifted to where Stiles had shook my arm, also eyeing my state of mind.
"I don't think you should go," Aiello decided, moving towards where I had come from.
"No," I gripped his bicep. "I'm alright, just still a little shaken up."
Aiello frowned. "That can cause mistakes."
"I'll be alright," I concluded, releasing him.
Aiello opened his mouth to respond when a voice cut him off. "Baker, I want you to come with me for an errand."
I turned to see Turner standing a ways from the tent, his hands on his waist. Shooting Aiello a warning glance, I hurried over to the Lieutenant. He nodded once to the boys and then moved his chocolaty gaze downwards to me.
"I heard medical supplies were low on this side of camp."
"Yes, but I was planning on getting some tomorrow."
"Very well," Turner looked at loss for words.
"Sir, if that was the errand you needed me for..." I paused, reconsidering my words. "Do you mind if I go prepare for the operation sir?"
"Not at all," Turner blinked out of whatever trance he was in. "Permission granted."
I knew he was out of it, slightly scatter brained. I glanced to make sure no one was watching and then used my hand to squeeze his arm. Turner was looking so tired, so drained.
"I'll see you when we return sir."
"In one piece," he murmured.
"It kills you to let me out there, doesn't it?"
"Yes."
"If that's the case, why assign me to go?"
"Every soldier has to do their part. You being around for too long could draw attentions to your...situation."
I slowly nodded. "Well, I can promise you I'll be fine, as will Pierson."
"I know that."
"Don't worry, sir," I squeezed his arm again and then removed my hand. "I've learned from some fine soldiers."
Turner's corner lip twitched into the smallest of smiles. "I'm sure you are just like them then."
"You won't be disappointed Turner," I returned the gesture and then moved past him.
I didn't have to glance back to know he was gazing after me. Out of what...I didn't know.

--•--•--•--

The next chapter is going to have some action readers so buckle up!
I hope you enjoyed! Please vote and comment, I love all feedback ❤️
Song: Umbrella by J2 (ft. Jazelle) (seriously in love with this song!!)
~MS~