Chapter 15

It was amazing how bathing could make you feel like a new person.
    Though it was a river and likely full of things that could harm me, I didn't care in the moment. It was like my first scrub upon arriving at the first camp. I had washed since then, but I'd never had enough time to clean well. While I used my soap sparingly, I also shaved all the areas I typically did with the razor supplied in the pack. I used the toothbrush to scrub my teeth for a second time, without the toothpaste in order to save it.
I exited the secluded part of the river and used the assigned towel, drying first by hands before I dampened the towel. My hair dripped as I squeezed it out and let it lay flat against my back. I changed back into the same uniform and found my second pair of socks cleanly ready for use. My fingers laced the dark tan boots and then proceeded to comb through my hair.
Placing everything neatly back into my pack, I braided my hair and secured it with one of the many rubber bands I'd managed to find. Turner had helped out by giving me some that came off packets of papers. I smiled at the memory of explaining what I needed to help stay inconspicuous.
The only thing I hadn't thought about was my time of the month. I doubted pads, even tampons for that matter, would be in supply around the camp. I had thought about using medical supplies to stop the flow when it happened, but I felt bad for taking from the army--we needed everything we could get. I would figure something out. It needed to be soon.
My muscles were stiff as I stood from the flat rock and threw my pack over my shoulders. I held onto my helmet as I proceeded to walk around to meet up with the boys. They were in an area with more rapids and, even as I walked, I could hear them joking around.
I stumbled upon an opening in the thin trees and gazed across to the scene that made my jaw drop.
All four of the boys were waist deep in water, some in the shallows still dressed in their underwear. I knew all of them had left that bit of clothing on to avoid complications between each other and their officers, but that didn't stop my eyes from staring at the unclothed parts of them.
Most all of them had visible abs, some had ribs that poked out in anger to not being fed enough through the war. All of their arms were cut, shaped with muscle that represented they were in shape and fit for the jobs they'd been through for a few months now--longer for some like Aiello.
My eyes studied Zussman's scar--from Normandy when he'd saved Daniels and vice versa--and then looked to the glistening water rolling along his shoulders as he splashed childishly at Daniels. Daniels' shoulders were thicker than I would've ever thought, ripped with muscle like the rest of his thickly-framed body...square like his face. Aiello was sitting up on rocks, looking down at the younger boys in annoyance. Though rolls appeared from his slouched position, I could easily tell his arms were flexing to propping himself up. I didn't dare look at Stiles, who I knew would be showing off something as well.
"Damn," I whispered. "I'm so screwed."
Never would the images be able to leave my mind. I wouldn't be able to focus on keeping them at friendship distances if I was constantly reminded what was underneath their olive uniforms. It wouldn't help as time went on and both them and I became more deprived of those particular attentions.
"He-ey!" Zussman shouted and grinned at me. "Enjoying what you see, Ava?"
My cheeks flushed a deep red--I didn't need to look in a mirror to know that--and I quickly buried my face in my hands. I turned, trying to escape.
"Don't leave so quickly!" I heard playful splashing as Zussman tried to follow me.
I picked up a run and got away from the embarrassment as soon as I could. The splashing grew fainter as I drew away and I slowed once camp started coming into sight. I broke through the trees closest to the canvas tents that the soldiers shared.
"Ava," Turner greeted as I came into view of the camp itself.
He was sitting by a fire pit, finishing up a late breakfast that he probably had barely had the chance to eat. I walked forwards, hoping my fluster didn't show too badly.
"You look flustered."
Shit. "Just had a rabbit scare the shit out of me, that's all."
He smirked and took another bite of food, looking like he was stifling a wince from the bitter taste of it. I looked out at the camp, preparing a new round of supplies to come in. The camp was never dead, I swore.
"Will I be going on the next...mission sir?" I wondered.
"It depends on what it may be."
I continued to look at the group of soldiers pumping out push ups.
"Pierson said you can shoot."
His words almost made me choke on air and I swallowed to prevent it. "Uh...I didn't think...I mean...yes. I guess."
Turner tilted his head to my broken speech, but didn't question it. "Seven shots in a space two inches in diameter isn't just an 'I guess' Ava. Where'd you learn to shoot like that?"
"My father," I breathed. "He used to take me out when I was young. Before he..." I paused and shook my head, "I got my sharp eye from him."
"What did you shoot?"
"Hunting rifles mostly," I reflected, pausing once more.
Turner narrowed his eyes like he wanted to press my hesitation, but then moved his gaze to the trees. "There they are."
I glanced over my shoulder to see the four beings of dread prancing through the trees. Upon seeing me, all of them smirked in amusement. I faced forwards, clenching my hands between my knees.
"Zussman and Daniels, you have things to unload. Stiles, Aiello, Pierson has things for you to do as well."
"Yes sir!" their response was in sync.
"What's Ava going to be doing?" Aiello snickered.
"I'll decide," Turner replied curtly.
The boys passed me and I held my breath, praying none of them would mention what had happened. Aiello flicked his towel playfully in my direction as he passed last. I glanced at him to see his eyes twinkling and his smirk more clear than the others'.
"They seem...rather cheerful," Turner stated as the boys got out of earshot.
"Maybe it's cause they're clean," I sucked on my lower lip and avoided looking at Turner for fear of my blush returning.
"I think it's you."
My green gaze darted to him. "What?"
"You. You have an aura about you that's already changed them," Turner mused.
"I'm a distraction," I dipped my head.
"That's not it," Turner spoke slowly. "It's like you're bringing them together."
"War will do that," I looked to the dying fire underneath the cooking pot. "I'm just a woman they're all trying to woo. Just like they would back in America."
"And are you wooed yet?"
"Never will be," I smiled and Turner chuckled. "So, what do you want me to do sir?"
Turner thought a moment as he hurried to finish his can. "Stick with Zussman."
I inwardly groaned. "Yes sir."
"And before you do that," Turner stood, adjusting the surcingle belt around his ribcage, "make sure to put on your helmet."
I felt my braid and then nodded. "I will sir."
Turner spared me an extra glance, his eyes falling once more to the red number one on my uniform-covered upper bicep. He moved off without another word, leaving me to try and decipher the strange look for a second time.
The first had been back before the Marigny expedition.

--•--•--•--

Sorry for the shorter update. I'm currently vacationing in Mexico so my motivation is rather low. This was still a fun chapter to write though!
Till next week readers!
Song: Where Do You Run? by The Score
~MS~