Chapter 47

"When history called, you answered. From all walks of life, you came to defend peace and freedom. I thank you. And the world thanks you. And wherever your path takes you, know this: you will always be amongst a brotherhood of heroes."
I wasn't in line with the boys, nor in the back of the group of the professionally lined soldiers. Instead, I was further back, leaning against a set of crates from one of the ships docked nearby. Being in that group, with those hats and those uniforms, couldn't be me. Not only would I be recognizable as a woman, but it would start a political war that wasn't ready to happen yet; that would evolve in a few years to come.
Davis had promised me a uniform and every colorful piece of recognition the boys had on theirs as well. I wore it currently and my hair was tucked up underneath the matching beige cap. It didn't look as professional or straight at the others' but it worked. I was unrecognizable from a distance, which is all that mattered.
Upon the conclusion to Davis' speech, the men were allowed to separate after a final salute. With their own plans in mind, each soldier retreated to find their duffel bags of personal or treasured items. I stayed leaning on the crates, watching as the men I knew parted to find their bags.
The moment I was dreading was coming too quickly.
I headed to where Aiello, Stiles, and Daniels were already back together like magnets. My footsteps stopped as I reached their triangle of farewells and hopes for bright futures. The very moment broke my heart.
"Hey Ava," Stiles pulled something from a smaller pocket on his bag and held it out. "I managed to get some pictures developed and I thought you'd like to have these."
I took the stack of photos and then peered down at the first. It about took my breath away.
It was all five of us, the boys and I, back in the beginning. We were all grinning, the boys evenly on either side of me. Zussman and Aiello were the closest, both fighting over who got to be by the girl. I remembered the random soldier we'd asked to snap the shot and how annoyed he'd been by the goofiness.
The second photo was a picture that snagged a single tear. Turner and I. He had actually been open to a picture and in a good mood when Stiles had been around. In a hurried manner, Turner had latched his arm around my shoulders and leaned in with that wise smile of his, the squint of his eyes. Our helmets were mushed together, making them crooked. I looked like a young, inexperienced girl with a wildly nervous gleam in her eye.
There were individual photos of me with each of the guys during a training moment each had given me. All smiles and laughter and jokes. Each made more tears stream down my eyes. Some moments were ones I wanted to forget, however ones like these...the people included in them...I wanted to cherish forever.
The last one made me choke on the very air around me. Pierson and I were in the same frame, just the two of us. I had been laughing at something, likely one of the boys, and Pierson was glancing my way. The look of adoration and fulfillment on his face was enough to make my heart ache. It was a realization that told me he had always loved hearing me laugh, yet had never said a word about it.
"Stiles," I whispered, looking up to the smiling, glasses-wearing man. "Thank you, I love you!"
He embraced me tightly, careful of my thinner cast; it had been just over a month and I was still stuck with the thing. I kissed his cheek in farewell and then released him. Stiles grinned wider.
"My turn," Aiello scooped me up by my waist and spun me around.
I laughed and gripped his shoulders. He easily held me up as he hugged me, kissing each of my cheeks multiple times. Aiello released me after a solid minute and I was worried onlookers had noticed.
"You're such a flirt," I chuckled.
"I'm assuming that's a handsome thing," he didn't get the idea of a flirt.
"It's an annoying thing."
He shrugged. "Still fits."
"Good luck with your family," I smiled at Daniels, hugging him and also kissing his cheek.
"And you," he returned the kiss. "We all have a gift for you."
"Another gift?" I raised an eyebrow. Please, you didn't have to."
"All of us got earnings for this whole thing," Daniels explained and I nodded. "Well, a long time ago, all of us decided to put some of each together for you."
"What?" I felt my throat constrict in a silent sob.
"Turner, these two, Zussman, myself, and even Pierson put some money together with Davis' help to assist you after this," Daniels smiled as I covered my mouth in shock. "Plus whatever you get from Davis' arrangements."
"You guys," I cried. "Thank you so much!" I hugged them all again, tears brimming in my eyes. "Dammit, the make up they made me wear is going to smear."
They all chuckled.
"You are the best thing that ever happened to me, all three of you. You've made this new world a lot easier to get used to."
"You're gunna do great out there," Aiello ruffled my cap and I glared at him in annoyance as he gripped his bag tighter. "Gentlemen and lady."
Swiftly, Aiello turned to head off to find his way home. I watched the man, one of those who had at first been turned away by me, begin his first steps away from the last year of his life. While at first an annoying little flirt, Aiello was the perfect figure of a brother I could've ever imagined.
"Queens!" he raised a fist. "Your prodigal son returns."
I let out a short chuckle of amusement and Daniels shook his head. Stiles reached to pick up his duffel, smiling after the figure of Aiello before facing Daniels.
"Well, you gonna be okay?"
"Gotta say goodbye to Zussman," Daniels smiled.
"Stiles," I spoke up as he began to move off. He turned to face me and I smiled. "I better see your name on those articles soon, all right?"
"You got it," he grinned and then turned, saluting to an incoming figure I couldn't quite see yet.
"Sergeant," Daniels acknowledgement made my heart shudder downwards, deeper into my chest.
Pierson barely stood out from the rest of the moving soldiers, dressed in the same uniform and trimmed up in comparison to just a few weeks beforehand. He was graceful as he came up to Daniels, facing the Corporal with a rare, tiny smile. I stood to the side, letting the two say what they would need to.
"Goin' home?" Daniels questioned.
Pierson glanced around, shaking his head. "This is home."
My heart tore just enough for a thorn to snag at my throat. I swallowed back the closing fist and blinked to stay focused on the conversation.
"You?" Pierson nodded his head. "You gonna re-up?"
"I've been away from Texas for a long time," Daniels reminded.
"You take care farmboy," Pierson used his favorite title which used to taunt Daniels.
"I will," Daniels promised. "And when my son asks what I did, I'll tell him I fought with the First and that crazy bastard Pierson."
Pierson huffed in amusement, turning to walk away. "Crazy ain't the half of it."
The final exchange reminded me of weeks earlier when Daniels had returned determined to find Zussman. How far the two had come before that moment and even after. Since the camp, Pierson had seemed to let the leash loose entirely.
Daniels began to move off, touching my shoulder once more, before disappearing likely forever. If I ever saw him or the others again, it wouldn't be for many years. That was also a big if.
That's why my entire body faltered when Pierson started moving off as if he never saw me.
I opened my mouth to question him, but before I could he stopped walking completely. His shoulders visually released a sigh and then he turned. His dark eyes held an emotion I didn't expect: dread.
"So," I clasped my hands together in front of me and decided to speak first, "you're staying."
"It's my place," Pierson dipped his head, his face clean and attractive.
He wasn't wrong entirely. "It is."
Pierson continued to stand there, his eyes tracing over my form. I returned the favor, finding the tan uniform an oddly soothing color on his form. For someone like Pierson, someone I'd always seen filthier than mud itself, the uniform made him look peaceful.
I found my chest collapsing at the thought of never seeing the man before me again. All we'd shared and been through...never mind the long and agonizing relationship we'd managed to build up. It felt like all of it was being shoved into the water not thirty paces from us.
The soldier inside my head ordered me stay exactly where I was. The other part of me...the Avaline-before-the-war part told me to not waste a moment longer. She wanted me to do what I dearly wished to do.
I stood for a half second longer and then I lost it.
I lost it like a fucking baby.
I fell into his chest as Pierson stepped forwards to embrace me tightly. Uncontrollably, I shook and cried into his warm, muscular hug. Pierson rested a cheek against the side of my head, breathing me in. I squeezed until I thought he would pop.
This was the last time we'd see each other and we both knew it.
Drawing away from me, Pierson glanced around before placing a long, sweet kiss on my cheek. I smiled, eyes fluttering closed as he wiped away a remaining tear underneath my left eye. I held onto his biceps, never wanting to let go.
I didn't want to, but I knew I would have to. Pierson was right...this was his place. To finish the rest of the war over the next few months and continue to be in a place that brought him solitude. Hell, he'd ran away from home to join the military. It wasn't a surprise that he'd want to stay.
Pierson gently pulled away, lifting his head and glancing in the opposite direction to leave. He was going back out there, alone and just as determined. I admired him for that.
No...I loved him for it.
"You'll be okay," Pierson's voice was scratchy, as if speaking hurt him.
"I know."
"Just remember what you've gotten yourself through so far and know that you can handle everything from here on out."
I nodded strictly, my lips twitching into a smile as my tears continued to fall. "Yes sir."
Pierson smiled, his eyes squinting to the motion, and then he faced the way he had been originally. With a shake of his shoulders, he started to leave once more.
"Pierson," I made him stop and he glanced over his shoulder.
My breath caught to the sight of something shiny next to his nose. It didn't take an idiot to know what it was. It was enough to turn someone into an idiot.
"Thank you."
"Chin up, Private."
    Despite his words, I swear more tears started to fall down his face.

--•--•--•--

Pierson is CRYING?!? What has gone wrong in the world??
Hope you're enjoying loves, it's almost the end.
Song: Fearless by UNSECRET (ft. Ruby Amanfu)
~MS~