Circus Games

Chapter 7: Circus Games

Unlike the first time, I didn't feel the killing headache and the weird sensation in my stomach as I woke up on a bed. I still felt dizzy but it was slightly better than the last time.

"Holy Gods" said Marianna as she dropped a plate that looked like it was made of bronze. She immediately picked it up and put back whatever had been on the plate.

The sound of shoes coming on the marble ground made me realize that someone was running toward us. It was probably the sound of the plate crashing on the ground that had alerted the person.

The wooden door flew wide open as Tatum Marcus appeared. His eyes widen in total shock as he realized that I was sitting in his bed.

He helped Marianna up and moved toward me.

"Where have you been?!" He yelled as he grabbed me by my wrist and forced to me get away from the bed. "It has been two days since your last meeting!! You have upset the Emperor even more when you disappeared!"

I punched him and he let me go.

"I am not your enemy ! I am not your enemy Andromeda but listen to me; you've made yourself a very strong enemy. You've seen me fight before and you know I am not kind or keen to save a life. However I am not cruel, I will not watch other people die for no reason. Your enemy... Your enemy enjoys to see people suffer..." He said as he walked toward me, forcing me to slowly back away against the wall. His two hands were placed on each side of my head, against the wall. We were staring at each other. "Andromeda, your enemy is so powerful he could get our entire people killed if he wanted, because you have upset our Emperor. He has planned to send you to the circus games and watch you die. Unlike me, he is cruel and I will not stand here and watch an innocent die. You might have invaded our palace or our country but you haven't done anything worth such a cruel death."

He didn't look away from my eyes as he kept on explaining the following. Then he moved away from me and turned to Marianna.

"Help her get changed. Don't let anyone find her."

Marianna nodded and immediately started gathering things around. Fast enough, I had been given a new dress and shoes. Tatum was still in the room and we were about to leave when a soft knock was heard and the doors opened to reveal one of the generals that had been at the dinner with the Emperor.

He immediately saw me and pointed at me.

" The... The... The Girl from the Gods" and then he started shouting instructions to the guards that were following him.

Everything was a huge drama. People started to run around, I was grabbed by my arms and lifted up, my legs couldn't touch the ground and it was impossible for me to get away. Marianna was pinned down on the stairs and she wasn't reacting at all; her face had an expression of utter horror and shock. Next to her, Tatum wasn't doing anything, he just stared as I was being taken away, not moving at all even when the guards put their daggers under my neck, forcing me to obey.

........

The guards had brought me to the palace's prison. I had expected to at least meet the Emperor again but I guess I hadn't got my VIP ticket yet.

The prison's cells weren't so bad, considering I had never been in jail before. Wait... Would it appear in history? My step-mother would totally kill me if she knew about it... On the other hand, she'd kill to be in my shoes right now.

The cell was made of thick rock and the ground was covered with thick sand. It was quite humid and the only belonging in the cell was some sort of wooden board covered with hay. A rug of water had been placed near the door and a plate with what seemed to be some sort of porridge had also been put there, probably for me to eat however there was no way I would even try it.