T H R E E | ' bon voyage '

I struggled through the throng of people to little avail, only managing to snap a quick and blurry photo of the SHIELD sign with the 'watch' on my wrist (which, of course, did everything except tell the time), before I was swept back into the raging wave of bodies. Grasping a hold of Silver's jacket to ensure she was with me I forced my way through the spider web of kicking, pushing limbs, finding a gap in the procession for us to catch a breath. I squinted at the photo displayed on my watch, making out the words on the billboard. Project Pegasus...Bit of an ironic name for a base working with dark energy but then again, I guessed project unicorn was already taken. Glancing left and right for any guards who weren't occupied with the evacuation, we followed the directions outlined on Silver's tablet, ending up in front of a big bland building more fitting of a motel than a high-tech research lab. 

But who were HYDRA agents to talk about design? 

The automatic glass doors opened up into a reception that was empty aside for a few SHIELD agents who were "just leaving". Silver led me towards a lift with a blocked off fire escape beside it. 

"It's face recognition, you're up."

"Does it feel like a Fury or a Coulson day to you?" I asked, comically raising an eyebrow, "No, no you're right." I said, raising my arms in defeat as she rolled her eyes, "It's definitely a Hill-"

As if it had been struck by an earthquake, the building began to shake, throwing me off balance.

"What was that?"

"Karma. Hurry up." Silver quipped, prodding me back towards the screen while she checked something on her tablet, "The energy spikes are increasing exponentially, we might not have much time left."

I cleared my thoughts, ignoring the trembling building as best as I could and focusing on an image of Hill's face I'd pulled up on my watch instead. My skin writhed, stretching over my body as it contorted but I forced the discomfort to the back of my mind. As I opened my eyes, Silver was nodding in approval, gesturing towards my reflection in the glass doors. I looked exactly like her. So long as I watched my words carefully, no one would have any doubts.

Except maybe her but that's beside the point.

"Let's go."

I tapped on the interactive screen and Silver got out of the shot while a blinking red light came on to show the camera was active. A moment later the lift doors slid open and I stepped inside. They slammed shut in the blink of an eye, narrowly missing Silver's foot. I jabbed at the open button,

"What the-"

"All guests must be verified." The overhead speakers crackled to life.

The electronic screen on my wrist lit up and Silver's face appeared on the monitor, "We've wasted enough time, I'll find another way down. Good luck."

"Well, there was that fire escape" I suggested cheekily, knowing our destination was about 30 floors down.

"Yeah, it's not a leg day, M." The screen flashed black and I pressed the button for the lowest level, glad that Hill's security clearance would get me there without the usual ID hassle. The basement. The cool things were always in the basement.

.

I was wrong. It was the floor below the basement. That's right. Their basement had a basement.

Focus goddammit.

"Agent Hill!" Came a voice from behind me and I saw a weary SHIELD operative standing there, rubbing his eyes, "Didn't you just come this way, ma'am?" The man was clearly exhausted, likely from helping with the evacuation upstairs.