T W E N T Y E I G H T | ' shackles '

When I woke up, I was lying in fetal position. My hands were shackled together with metal cuffs and there was a persistent ringing in my ears as I lay there, unmoving. Inhaling deeply through my nose, I opened my eyelids, blinking twice to erase the tears blurring my vision.

I was in a concrete bunker, shrouded in darkness. Loki paced back and forth before me, facing the doorway. My initial reaction was to flinch back before I noticed similar restraints around his wrists and gave him a second look. Slowly, I sat up, touching the back of my scalp where my hair was grossly coated in congealed, wet blood. Loki caught sight of my movements, acknowledging my physical state with what looked uncharacteristically like worry.

"Are you well?" He asked, walking closer and I pressed my back flat against the wall, searching for something I could use as a weapon. Just in case.

"Is it really you?" I asked skeptically, keeping my last two experiences with his look-alikes in mind.

"I could ask you the same question." He replied, though I guess he understood my caution because he took a small step back.

"Say something only Loki would say." I demanded to which he rolled his shoulders back and gave me a look of judgement.

"That is ridiculous. You hardly know me well enough to...Oh."

He said, emerald eyes narrowing as he realised what I'd done. I held back my laugh and we lapsed back into silence. Loki had been stripped of his armour. He was clothed in a thin green v-neck spotted with blood and riddled with bullet holes on top of a pair of black pants that looked oddly like leather. I figured I'd judge him for that once my life wasn't at risk. His shoes had been removed, like mine, and his hair clung wetly to his forehead. If, by some strange twist of fate, I became a writer, the only word I'd need to describe him would be 'dischevelled'.

As my gaze trailed down his appearance, I felt the familiar tug of guilt in my chest, knowing I'd put us in this situation.

"I led them to us," I said quietly, eyes downcast, "This is my fault."

He stopped pacing, studying the bandage on my shoulder before looking up at the ceiling.

"Via a tracker you were unaware of until it was removed a few hours ago. Am I correct?" He said coldly, then continued without waiting for a response, "I don't have the time n'or patience to deal with your sob stories. Did that man tell you anything of actual importance?"

"He, uh, he intends to use us as bait. To draw in the other Avengers and- And Silver." I added quickly, massaging the back of my neck. Since we'd first met, Silver and I had never been separated for this long and I was worried.

"She's your partner?" He asked, settling himself down on the far end of the bunk. I quirked an eyebrow, offering him a small smile.

"Was. I thought we didn't have time for my sob stories." I said.

"I am merely gathering relevant information." He replied. I hummed, starting to crack my sore knuckles. My intention wasn't to annoy him but the fact that he cringed at the sound almost made me laugh.

"Is there anything he'd want with her in particular?" He asked, then quickly tapped the back of my hand to stop me. I smirked at that but he simply rolled his eyes, waving me off.

"She can teleport but her abilities are limited to, well, to Earth. There's nowhere she can go that you can't just catch a flight. Why go to all the trouble?"

"Perhaps, he doesn't know that," Loki said, , "What is she, exactly?"

"What do you mean? She's like me, 'a mere mortal'." I replied. Honestly, his aversion toward Midgardians only made me curious. All that hatred had to come from somewhere, unless it was just for show.