T H I R T Y E I G H T | ' far too young to die '

"YOU DARE bring this weapon into Asgard?" Odin demands, the volume of his voice causing several of the healers to look in his direction before they continue working over Marionette's body. She lies on an Asgardian cot, a series of holographic projections glimmering over her injured torso.

Her eyes have remained shut since the blast but the pulsating tendrils of orange light above her give Thor hope that she will live. He sighs at his father's words, imagining his rage if he had brought Enoch and Silver with him and glad he hadn't made that mistake.

"Had I left her there she would have died-"

"On your unsanctioned trip to Adohi, where you put the lives of our people at risk once again! Still you make me question your right to the throne."

Before Thor can release an angry remark in retaliation, Marionette stirs and alarms go off around the room. Suddenly, she is smothered by tens of healers, all performing some feat of magic more attuned to Loki's interests than his own.

"Will she live?" Thor asks, expression growing increasingly worried when minutes pass with no certain response.

"Do you even know who she is?" Odin demands, stepping in his son's path and forcing his attention on him. Thor's face falls as his attempts to circumvent the discussion fail.

"She saved Loki, weakening herself in the process, then journeyed to a distant planet, risking her life to protect her friend's. She may not be an Asgardian but she is noble and worthy of life. Marionette is fit to be here."

"This woman was raised to be a weapon by none other than the Mad Titan himself. If you truly believe she is working in anyone's interests but her own or her father's then you are wrong, Thor Odinson."

There's a quiet murmur in Marionette's direction and Thor cranes his neck toward her, pleased to see her eyes are open. The pain is marked clearly on her face as she sits up, wincing at the stabbing sensation in her stomach. She lacks the energy to hide her discomfort so instead she looks toward Thor, her vision gradually clearing. He looks shocked, much like the women hovering around her and Marionette mentally checks her own body with fear.

"You're alive." Thor says and Marionette savours the moment of euphoria when a grin breaks out on his face, only for it to be cut short by the bellowing voice of the white-bearded man glowering over them.

"And well enough to state your true allegiance, I do not doubt." Odin says, carrying himself with confidence when he advances.

"E-Excuse me?" Marionette says, her voice dry. She clears her throat when he holds his silence, "Who the hell are you?"

Her eyes scan the golden staff in his right hand and his regal body armour, purposed equally for design and defence.

"I am Odin. King of Asgard, protector of the nine realms."

Marionette raises her chin in defiance, "Well, I'm-"

"Ni Miari Kaius. Adopted daughter of the Mad Titan and raised to be his clandestine weapon on Midgard. Yes, I have heard the stories of your father's crimes, seen some myself." He thinks of Loki, the son he lost to Thanos' ploy, "From what I've seen, you are living quite up to his legacy."

Marionette grits her teeth when his gaze turns to Thor and while she is still uncertain as to whether she was the one to injure him, a pang of guilt fills her chest. It is quickly replaced by anger when Odin returns to her.

"I'm not proud of it but I was raised by HYDRA."

She sits up, swinging her legs off the stretcher despite the healers' protests. Her bare feet touch the cold, metal floor and she shudders, goosebumps erupting across her arms. "Where are my shoes?" She asks the room and a single nurse scurries off to find them. Before she has taken more than a few steps, Odin raises a hand prompting the woman to pause midstep. In moments, she has blended into the background and Marionette can hardly distinguish her from the other uniformly dressed ladies. She purses her lips, a look on her face that screams, 'seriously?".

"Just as he wanted. Did you truly believe it was a coincidence that you landed before that particular facility that night, instead of the vast, unforgiving ocean or a barren, desert labyrinth? That amulet, did you not think it had some deeper meaning than an old keepsake? There is no part of your life that he did not choreograph and that may well include your being here."

Marionette scoffs, "See this is funny, because I've heard some stories too," She continues, ignoring the warning stare she receives from Thor, "Enoch told us what you did. How you contributed to the killing of my entire race, of my family, simply because you were too proud to help. As far as I am concerned, true villain of my life has been you. You did this to me, to my brother. I hardly know who the 'Mad Titan' is."

Odin shakes his head, turning away, "Guards. Return this Adohian wretch back from whence she came."

Marionette stumbles to her feet as two armed men make their way toward her, shouting a warning that they promptly ignore. She turns toward Thor, eyes flashing with desperation but the second a guard makes contact with her skin, a force explodes from within her. The light erupting from her body is out of her control, forming a protective sphere that blasts them back. The room shakes as her eyes flash pure white and she faintly hears Odin shout something incoherent before the fire within her tires on its own and she slumps to the floor.

Odin gathers his balance as his son rushes to her aid, a second of panic flickering across his expression before it is covered with a perfected calm facade.

"Let me see Loki," Marionette mumbles, propping herself up on Thor's arm, "Let me see Loki and I'll leave, quietly."

Thor glances toward his father whose face is grim if not disgusted but Marionette speaks before he can retort, setting her eyes on him with renewed confidence.

"You refused to save my people because you were afraid of our strength, of our power. Either take this as a chance to redeem yourself or a promise that if you deny me, you will regret it. I may not know how to control my abilities but that does not mean I lack them," She exhales slowly, steadying her gaze, "Five minutes, that's all I ask."

"Is that a threat, child?"

"Yes."

. . .

Yes, that title was a Panic! reference