T H I R T Y S I X | ' house of memories '

. . . XANE . . .

"Alright nature boy, why am I here?"

Marionette asked, her eyes trailing over the assortment of plants in the sealed glass chamber he'd led her to. After some persuasion from him and in part due to her own natural curiosity, she'd decided to follow him. She figured she was already on a strange planet, light years away from her home, in the castle of a super villain so really, how much worse could it get? Besides, whoever this creature was, he was right. She wanted answers.

"What do they call you? On Earth." The Adohian asked.

"Marionette. And you?" 

Truthfully, she was annoyed at how he'd changed the subject but not enough to bring it up. Her grip tightened on the sword in her hand as an unexplained chill ran down her spine, catching her off guard. She'd recollected the weapon once the Adohian had promised it wouldn't burn her again but still felt uncomfortable holding it.

"Xane."

He said, gesturing to himself with one hand. With the other, he turned a small knob on the wall and the lights flickered on. They were bright white like the lights in a soccer stadium and Marionette shielded her eyes from the glow.

She squinted at Xane, struggling to make out his figure as he speed-walked through several rows of shelved pot plants. Eventually, he stopped before a metre-high bush spotted with yellow flower bulbs and some kind of white herb.

"The hell is that?" Marionette asked as he cut one off at the stem with a pair of metal pincers and began to pick off the leaves.

"Now we don't have much time so you're going to have to work with me here. This is an Adohian herb known for its ability to enhance the memory of the consumer. It is relatively safe but I have to warn you, it's also known to make users highly susceptible to new information. In our case, this will come in handy. While the herb is in your system I will be able to draw out the memories you've repressed and-"

"Are you talking about hypnotising me? So far all your kind has done is torture me and try to kill me. This isn't happening."

Xane took a deep breath, "Marionette, I understand you have no reason to trust me or anyone like me but I'm afraid this isn't optional. Either way, willing or not, I respect you enough to ensure you have a proper understanding of this process before it begins. I promise you, this is worth the risk."

"Did you hear me?" Marionette hissed, backing away.

"I'm sorry, Ni Miari." He said, raising an open palm. It was a gesture Marionette scoffed at until she was struck with an overcoming sense of exhaustion. Her eyes fell shut and her legs collapsed, rendering her helpless while her mind spun into darkness.

Xane caught her as she fell, lying her down on the floor of the chamber. He knelt beside her still form and swept the hair away from her face.

. . . MARIONETTE . . .

Marionette woke to a quiet hum that filled her ears and grew louder by the second.

"Do you hear that, Marionette?"

The world flickered around her. It span slowly at first then rapidly at the sound of Xane's voice. The vertigo finally sank in and she groaned. She tried to sit up but something heavy weighed down her arms and legs. She couldn't physically see Xane through the blur of movement but felt his presence beside her.

"W-What's happening?" She asked, her lips barely moving.

The world flickered again.

And then everything was dark.