At the beginning

My name is Cressida Alice Waterhouse and I am the daughter of US ambassador to the UK, Anthony Waterhouse  and his wife Elizabeth Van Cortlandt. I belonged to the elite world of debutantes and boarding school. My siblings are Joseph, Gabriella, Andrew, and Pandora. I was born on May 16, 1941. I was the  youngest of the siblings. My mother was considered a beauty and passed on her beauty. 

The first time I saw Jack Kennedy was when I was 18 years old. It was when he was campaigning for the presidency at the time of meeting. I was attracted to the nearly 42 year old John from the way he talked. I was surrounded by men and I knew that I would get to speak with him. I also knew that I was attractive and plenty of people would love to talk with me. We did talk that night but it was complicated.

The next time I saw Jack Kennedy was at a ball hosted for his inauguration. My parents were big democratic donators. I was attending the party with my future husband, Charles Astor. I had big brown hair, with a simple white dress. This would have an unintended affect.  I love this dress, I still have it, 58 years later. It is hung up on a wall. I might donate it when I am gone.

"Hello." I recognize his voice.

"Hello, Mr. President." 

It must have been the fifth look of the night. This was held at the Whitehouse for all the high donation. My parents received an invitation but.. I had one to. That was highly unexpected. It was directly to me. It had my full name, I took note of the fact that this happened due to the fact that I felt as though that would come up in my life.

"how are you feeling?" I asked.

"I am feeling... relieved."

"The stress will come back."

"Wow you are a..."

"I know. But you are young and.. you are the beginning of a new era.  Who knows what history will write?" 

"I never thought a girl would think like that."

"I have to go socialize with other guest. But, mr. president, I thought you were supposed to be smooth. Girls are better at hiding thoughts. Go have fun trying to talk to another girl." 

I never thought a girl would think like that. Ok not the most offensive but I had heard about his slickness so for him to show his more misogynistic side was failing. The party was great and I was polite as I said bye but it bothered me.