Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters, just the storyline. If i was lucky enough to be the creator of this show, Elejah would have been canon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was it. Today was the day that Elena's happy ending would begin. She would finally be marrying the man she loves, Kai Parker. They had met in College freshman year, and they'd both reached for the same book in the library. It didn't take long for the two of them to bond. A coffee here and there and out for a movie when they weren't swamped with studying and writing numerous essays. Life was good.

When it came to finishing college the typical questions came. What were they going to do, Kai and his family lived in Boston and Elena was from a little town called Mystic Falls in Virginia. The distance wasn't massive but if they wanted to stay together they'd have to make it work. Not wanting to risk a long distance relationship, Elena took a chance. For the man she loved, she moved to Boston to be with Kai.

Juggling work, Skype calls and with her best friend taking trips to New York every few months, Elena was able to keep in touch with those that mattered most to her. Everything in her life was fine. She couldn't say perfect because nothing was perfect, but she was happy and she had everything she had wanted, she just wished that her friends and family were closer. She didn't get to see her family that much and it seemed they only time that she did was when a special occasion was happening, just like today.

"You look beautiful Elena" Caroline had finished putting the last clip in the brunettes hair and stepped around to look at the bride to be.

"Thanks care, I couldn't of done this without you. You practically planned everything, and it looks wonderful" She didn't have to look in the church to know that the place was magical, Caroline had really out done herself, it was only minutes left until she'd be getting walked down the aisle by her brother Jeremy.

Her other best friend Bonnie walked into the room and handed Elena her bouquet. This was it. The moment that she had been waiting for. She was getting married today and even if she missed her friends by staying in Boston, she'd still make it work.

"Ready?" Bonnie asked while giving Elena a once over to check everything was in place, the tick was ticking and Jeremy had yet to walk through the door. Elena quickly nodded, her nerves were getting to her now, but they were normal weren't they...she loved Kai.

"I can't believe this is happening" Carolines voice almost took on a whine, she was clearly getting upset. "I mean we were supposed to be getting married and having kids together 'Lena, and now your getting married and I don't even have anyone. You better not have babies without me" the blonde joked as she mentioned the babies. The almost tears were dabbed away and all three girls giggled.

"You need to find a man first Care, plus we aren't thinking about babies, I want to concentrate on being a doctor first".

The minutes had ticked by and Bonnie and Caroline had glanced at each other nervously, everything had been running smoothly up until this point. Jeremy was supposed to be walking through those doors and taking Elena down the aisle. A silent conversation was had between them, leading Caroline to leave the room in search for answers.

When leaving the room she immediately had her answer. Jeremy and Alaric were talking to the Parkers in what looked like a heated discussion. The blondes eyes glanced over to the altar and found the groom was nowhere to be seen. Carolines eyes had locked on to Jeremy's and he shook his head. Caroline knew...it looked like everyone did. Their wasn't going to be a wedding today. So much for perfect.

With all her hard work down the drain, Caroline had to get Jeremy and Ric to tell the guests the wedding wasn't happening. They could easily tell what had happened, it wasn't hard to notice that the groom wasn't standing there waiting like he should be. With a heavy heart Caroline had to walk back to the bridal suite and tell her best friend the bad news.

Apprehension in her steps Caroline finally made it to the door, she opened the door slowly, finding Elena gleaming happily, blissfully unaware of what was happening outside the room. She closed the door behind her and ripped off the band aid.

"What's going on Care?"