Chapter 3 - The Next Step

"Elena" The brunette was standing at the nurses station when she heard her name being called.

When she turned around the thumping in her chest began to get faster. Dr Mikaelson was stood in front of her and she still hadn't given any sort of reply. Clearing her throat and trying to gain some semblance of a rational thought, Elena pathetically smiled and said "Hi".

"Are you okay?" He asked in concern, he'd just finished seeing a patient when he spotted her.

"I'm f-ffine. I just remembered something" She didn't mean to be so nervous, but he smelt so good, she suddenly thought to herself that she was turning back into a teenager.

"Okay, well I just wanted to say that I read that book you recommended, I loved it." Elijah smiled as did Elena, they had spent some lunch breaks sitting in the cafeteria talking. They shared a love for history, books and Star Wars.

After getting over her nervousness around him, she would act like a normal human being. Elena hadn't seen him with any other woman recently, not like before. But she still hadn't asked him out like Bonnie had suggested. She just liked talking to him, they spent one shift just using Star Wars lines to communicate, it was quite difficult but it made them laugh a lot and to others it seemed like they should be the ones in the hospital beds.

"I'm glad you liked it, its one of my favourites." Elena replied.

"Elena...I was wondering if you wanted to go out to see a movie with me." This was the first time that Elena had seen Elijah Mikaelson seem anything but calm and confident. She didn't want to make him wait for her answer, but she liked seeing him sweat a little.

"On one condition..."

"Okay, what is it?" He asked in curiosity.

"We go see the new Star Wars movie. It's out this weekend" She didn't really have any conditions, but she knew they both would enjoy the same film.

"Deal. How about Friday at 7?"

"I'm helping a friend move on Friday, but Saturday I'm free"

Elena's smile grew some more when the date was set. She was look forward to Saturday, the more she got to know Elijah the more she fell for him, which was silly because they weren't anything yet. Turns out she didn't need to ask him out, he did that for her.

~E&E~

It had taken Bonnie and Damon just over a month to find an apartment that they both liked. It was between both their jobs like they wanted and it had two bedrooms. It was only a five minute walk from Caroline's apartment and seven from Elena's.

Just like promised Elena was standing in Bonnie's new kitchen unpacking all the pots and pans. She had done all this before so she was quick and efficient. Bonnie was unpacking all the clothing and Caroline was directing Stefan, Damon and Damon's friend Enzo on all the big things. All the heavy boxes had been piled up in the correct rooms, for now the second bedroom was like a dump site. Everything that didn't need to be used straight away was put in the other room until they had more time.

By the end of the night it was starting to look like a home and not the empty space it started out as. A few pictures adorned the walls and the furniture was all in place, it was only the personal things that needed to be put in place for it to finally be finished.

The boys had gone to the bar, Lexi was holding her own at the bar for the first couple of hours, but Stefan didn't like to leave her alone for too long with a bunch of rowdy drunk men, so the three guys left to help out. The girls didn't mind much as they had work in the morning, but they stayed long enough to have dinner and squeal about the fact that Elena had a date tomorrow. She wanted to tell them earlier, but also wanted to keep the news to herself. She didn't know what would happen but she definitely wanted to explore it.

Elena was exhausted by the time her head hit the pillow, she had an early shift in the morning, but it meant that she had the evening free. Although she'd only have little time to make herself presentable for a date. The brunette had just enough time to shower and throw on some clothes by the time Elijah would pick her up.

~E&E~

Elena watched the clock on the wall, thinking of all the possible reasons that Elijah hadn't arrived yet. She had spoken to him countless times before and his word was solid. When he said he'd be there he meant it and he's the one who asked her! She just couldn't believe she was looking at the clock like an idiot hoping that by a miracle it was telling her the wrong time, but when she checked her watch she was hit back with reality. He wasn't there. He'd stood her up. Not even a text, or phone call about why and rearranging it, just silence.

She didn't want to be pathetic and cry over it. Of all the men, she didn't expect Elijah to be one to stand her up. She wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but she was losing hope. Scratch that she'd lost hope.

She slowly changed and played a movie on Netflix, it wasn't until morning and the crick in her neck that reminded her of why she fell asleep on the uncomfortable sofa.