Chapter 4 - Feels like Nothing

A/N: I had a brief read over, so hopefully there aren't many grammar or spelling mistakes lol.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

The next morning was a struggle. Everything in her body was telling her she was fine and she was alright to go to work, but she couldn't face it. Having a crush was one thing, but having that crush stand you up was another. Elena didn't want to face him. She was embarrassed and her ego had taken a big hit, even though it hadn't fully recovered from being left at the altar.

Ignoring it, Elena got in the shower and got dressed. Her shift started in an hour so the brunette got something quick to eat. She didn't know if Elijah was working the same shift as her, but she did know that he was working today and she was dreading it.

Elena arrived at the hospital a few minutes early, which kind of surprised her since she was being as slow as possible.

"Morning Elena" said Jules one of her colleagues.

"Hey Jules, how was last nights shift?"

"Busy...we lost Mrs. Wilkinson last night" Mrs Wilkinson was a sweet old woman who suffered a heart attack, she'd already lost her husband and didn't have any children, but she was the most positive patient Elena had ever met, even after being left alone.

"Really...she was such a nice woman." Elena signed a few folders and began to get in the mind set of helping patients. She followed the orders of the doctors, but she loved the fast paced job.

She checked on patients throughout her shift, but she hadn't seen Elijah at all. She wasn't quite sure how to feel about it. She wanted to talk to him and find out why, but at the end of the day did it matter? He obviously changed his mind, and she wasn't going to go all stalker for the answers. She didn't want to be pathetic over a guy....but she was.

~E&E~

Elena checked her phone as she opened the door to her apartment. Four calls and several texts from Caroline and a very similar amount from Bonnie. She sighed knowing what the calls were about. Her friends wanted to know all the details about the date that didn't happen.

She didn't want to talk to them, but knew that if she ignored them any longer they would come straight to her apartment for the answers regardless. They were best friends. It's what they did. They were involved and nothing was private. She wouldn't be able to hide the disappointment she felt when she spoke to them on the phone anyway, so she settled on the sofa and hit redial on her phone.

"Soooooo, how did it go?" Bonnie asked over the phone excitedly, but the only response she got was silence.

"Lena...." Again all she was met with was silence, she was going to ask again when she heard her best friend speak.

"He...he didn't...he didn't turn up." She had said those words in her head a few times, but she hadn't said it out loud until then. She didn't quite realise how hurt she actually was. Elena really liked Elijah, she couldn't explain what she felt for him, this crush of hers had become quite serious. She'd never felt this way before, it was like she couldn't breathe without him. But they were only friends and they had only known each other for a few months. She didn't want to believe it was soul mates, she had thought that with Kai, she didn't want to make the same mistake. She didn't want to cloud her judgement with make believe.

"Did he tell you why? With everything you told me, he didn't seem the type." Came the reply.

"No, and I didn't exactly call to find out. What's wrong with me Bon?" Elena quickly wiped the tear that started to fall.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing!" Bonnie nearly shouted.

"That's it! Come meet me at the bar, I'm going to call Caroline and we are getting drunk and then after you get over the hangover in the morning, you are going to forget about crying over a boy. You hear me?" The order was quite clear and Elena nodded in response forgetting that her best friend couldn't see.

"O-okay....yeah...forget about him...lets get drunk!" Elena slowly convinced herself to go out. Bonnie was right no more crying over boys.

~E&E~

Any evidence of turmoil was gone by the time she arrived at the bar. Elena had changed into a nice Black Dress, that hugged her body in all the right places. She had felt like nothing earlier and now she was hoping that tonight she would feel..something, anything. She wanted someone to want her, even if it was only to have a conversation. She just wanted to know that she was worth more than being stood up.

The dolled up brunette looks around the bar and her eyes settled on her two best friends. A drink was already on the table in her allocated space. Caroline didn't wait and immediately pulled the dark haired girl into a hug. "He doesn't know what he missed out on" she said while turning back to the table and grabbing the drink for Elena and telling her to drink up.

Getting drunk wasn't a common occurrence with these three. But when the time called for it, they could hold their own. Damon and Enzo had a watchful eye over the three girls as they drunk themselves into oblivion. They had done shots, trash talked, danced and drunk some more. It was fun to let go, even if they would regret it in the morning.

Bonnie was cut off a little after midnight, her head was being held up by the table. Damon didn't hesitate to take her home, leaving Enzo in charge to call cabs for Caroline and Elena. Caroline had been doing some flirting over the room with some guy and Elena caught the attention of someone also.

She couldn't help the blush that appeared when he came over and complimented her smile. He'd asked her to dance and she accepted, Elena liked this feeling. It was a feeling of being free and she took it with both hands. She didn't remember his name, only that he didn't look like Elijah and he wanted her, just as much as she did him.