Harry's Acceptance

Harry was having more fun with Tom than he'd had in a long time. They hadn't seen each other for ten months and Tom was doing his best to make up for lost time. Harry was sure that the main reason for the other boy's actions was because he felt guilty for not coming back to Wool's during his breaks like he'd promised. It was also because he was unaware that Dumbledore would soon be returning to inform Harry of his acceptance into Hogwarts as well, unknowingly ensuring the boys' continued company after two months of summer. Harry, of course, knew Dumbledore would be returning but didn't let slip the information he wasn't supposed to know, allowing himself to forget about the old man's visit for lengthy periods of time. It was because he was so wrapped up in Tom that he didn't notice how quickly the days passed by and why Dumbledore's visit truly surprised him when it finally came.

He and Tom were in the abandoned commons playing their third round of Go Fish when Mrs. Cole, followed by Dumbledore, walked in. Tom, immediately recognizing his Transfiguration professor, quickly sat up from his previous position on his stomach, eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "Professor Dumbledore? What are you doing here? Is something the matter?"

Dumbledore shook his head, smiling kindly at Tom, but twinkling eyes fixed on Harry. "No, no, Tom. Nothing's wrong. I simply need to have a word with young Harry here." Tom's eyes widened in shock, and he snapped his neck around to stare at Harry.

"Does that mean he's going to be coming to school too?"

"It certainly does, but I think it would be best if we take this conversation somewhere more private. Perhaps your room, Harry?"

Harry looked at Tom, who smiled and nodded at Harry to go. He pushed himself up and led Dumbledore to his room. Without enthusiasm, he opened his door and moved to his bed where he plopped down facing the future headmaster. Dumbledore politely closed the door to keep their conversation out of the hall but remained standing; looking down at Harry with the same smile he'd had before.

"I knew I recognized you from somewhere," he said more to himself than to Harry. "You're the boy I noticed a year ago, the last time I came here, when I informed Tom that he had a place at Hogwarts. I must say that your first impression was surprising. I could sense magic housing itself in you–not very common to that degree in children your age. It's even more rare that two wizards are ever found in one muggle-run orphanage, especially if they aren't related." He paused. "Mrs. Cole said that you were brought here at the age of four. Did you know if your parents were magical or not?"

Harry felt the muscle under his eye give a slight twitch. He'd thought Dumbledore was more intelligent than that. What if Harry's parents were killed in a most gruesome manner right before his eyes? Dumbledore could have brought up quite painful memories with that question.
"No."

"No you didn't know or no they weren't magical?"

Harry gritted his teeth. "I don't know if they were magical. I don't have any real memories of them. I barely remember their faces."

Dumbledore hummed to himself in thought. "I guess Tom broke his promise then."

Harry blinked, puzzled by Dumbledore's response. "What promise?"

"That he wouldn't tell anyone about Hogwarts or magic," he said kindly, making a point to show in his voice and eyes that it was in no way Harry's fault. "It's obvious he told you something about the wizarding world. If he hadn't, you wouldn't have answered my first question the way you did. You would have looked at me as if I were crazy to insinuate that your parents may have been wizards."

Harry chose not to answer or point out that the Tom in Dumbledore's memories hadn't seemed surprised when he was informed that he was a wizard either. He'd let Dumbledore think whatever the old man wanted to think. That was usually how things ended up happening anyway.

"That makes my job a bit easier, I suppose. Since Tom has undoubtedly told you about Hogwarts already, I don't have to explain much. Also, because you and Tom are friends, I believe he would rather take you to Diagon Alley himself. He didn't wish for my company when I explained it to him last summer. He should also help you with getting to school on the first of September. He is lucky, though, that you are a wizard as well or he would have to have been dealt a punishment from his Head of House, Professor Slughorn for revealing information about the magical world. Now, I have just one question to ask you, Mr. Evans." Dumbledore's face became serious and the twinkle vanished from his eyes. "Do you wish to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?"

Harry refrained from looking at Dumbledore as if he was an idiot. Of course Harry wanted to go to Hogwarts, what kind of fool would rather stay at Wool's then go off to hone their magical ability? "Yes, sir. I would like to attend."

"Wonderful!" Dumbledore clapped his hands and extracted two envelopes from within his maroon-colored, velvet jacket. "Here is your letter of acceptance and school supplies, along with Mr. Riddle's. Your tickets for the Hogwarts Express are included. It will leave Kings Cross Station for Hogwarts at exactly eleven o'clock a.m. on September first. Do try to avoid being late. Have a good summer, Mr. Evans." Dumbledore turned and left Harry, holding the letters, alone in his room. It wasn't long before Tom excitedly poked his head in.

"So you're going to come to Hogwarts too?" Harry nodded. "That's great." Tom smiled. "We can go to Diagon Alley tomorrow to get our things. Dumbledore told me when I met him on the stairs that he gave you my letter. This is going to be so much fun! You're going to love it at Hogwarts, I guarantee."