p ▮ one

i want to go somewhere far
away

"this is it, mum," minkyung said, her eyes fixed on the computer screen, she inhaled a deep breath, and then clicked 'enter', and the screen changed as she logged into her e-mail

minkyung had worked so hard for her exams. she had never worked so hard for anything but this—she was determined to leave her stupid neighbourhood and the stupid people living there. she wanted to study abroad, and then come back as an independent woman.

"minkyung, you know it's still okay if you ended up not getting that offer, right? there are tons of good universities in korea." her mum reassured as she was standing behind her daughter. minkyung shook her head, "it's not okay, mum. you know i won't accept any other answers than a 'congratulations! you're studying abroad!', right?" minkyung frowned.

her mum sighed, "but you need to give universities in korea a chance too, we're not 100% sure if you'll get—" minkyung shook her head, "i wanna go somewhere far away from here, mum, and i'll make you proud there, on my own." she smiled.

minkyung looked at her screen again, she scrolled down, until she found an e-mail sent by her college. "i'll get it," she told herself, her heart was beating rapidly, she was 60% sure she wasn't gonna get it, and 40% sure she will. slowly, she clicked on the e-mail.

Dear Park Minkyung,
Congratulations! You passed your A-levels with a good 3.9 GPA. You also passed your Mandarin classes with flying colours, making you qualified for our overseas programme.

Your flight will be 3 weeks from now, and your flight ticket shall be given by our staff next week.

You have been accepted to study in Macau, and you will have your own freedom to choose whichever university that is associated with this programme that you like.

Please submit your self-written form to us by tomorrow. Thank you and congratulations once again.

Yours sincerely,
Seoul National College.

"wait." she muttered to herself, "wait! wait! i did it? mum! i did it?" she asked in excitement, almost squealing. she had never seen such a bright smile on her mother's face before. "park minkyung! you did it!" she exclaimed, immediately embracing her daughter. "i'm so proud of you, minkyung." she mumbled.

minkyung was also standing there, hugging her mother so tightly as she process what had happened in her head. she can't believe it. she did it. she's finally, after 19 years of living, she's finally leaving this goddamn town. she's studying abroad. "w-wait, mum are you crying?" she asked.

her mum nodded, before wiping her cheeks. "i'm so proud of you, minkyung. i really am. you've come a very long way. you're all grown up. there's so much for my mind to take." she said, and minkyung burst into laughter. "mum! you're so cheesy!" she said, and her mum gave her a grin.

"how could i not be! my only daughter's so grown up now. time flies so fast. now i only have 3 weeks with you." she frowned, and minkyung frowned with her before pulling her mother back into an embrace. "i'll visit you every summer! only because i love you!" she muttered. "oh you really don't have to! i can take care of myself, you know?" she said.

"but who are you gonna talk to, then?" her mother laughed, "i have my friends, you know?" she said, and then minkyung nodded in agreement. "how do you think dad would feel?" she asked, which made the atmosphere around them awkward.

her mother frowned, "who cares?" she asked. "now. i'm gonna cook something nice for you, and maybe later you should go out with your friends to tell them the news." she said as she walks out of her room. "but i can just text th—"

"minkyung! this is a big news, you should tell them face to face!" her mother cut her, "i-i guess so?" she shrugged, her mother flash her another smile before she completely disappear from her sight.

minkyung closed the door behind her, and then flopping herself onto her bed, before screaming into the pillow, "holy shit! i got it! i'm leaving this whack-ass neighbourhood!"

"i hope i make good friends, though." she told herself, and then hopes for the best, because honestly, apart from being excited, she was also scared—the fact that she'll leave everything behind, when she had been living here for 19 years, and then moving to a country she's never been to, with people speaking in a foreign language. she had so much to prepare for, and for once in her life, 3 weeks felt short.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

a/n: guys i love hendery so much
once he debuts it's over for me
and jaehyun