11. assassin | short story

"I have you in my sights," I said to myself as his face came into the view of my scope. I had made sure that auto-lock was on before I aimed.

I breathed deeply, in and out. My rifle was placed on the highest slab of concrete on the building overlooking the Winston Canyon Bank. The scope was directly aimed at Wallace Winston's face. It was between his eyes dead on, the red dot illuminating on the skin.

Shoot to kill. This is your only chance, Nissa.

The words my father had told me replayed over and over in my head; distracting but correct. Wallace Winston was a famous man. Bodyguards surrounded him twenty-four seven; if I didn't kill him now while he was in the open, I'd never have the chance again.

My father's group, the Annihilators, had been commissioned to take out Wallace, specifically Caine. The reason I was sanctioned to eliminate Wallace was because Caine had missed the only shot he had on the target. Yet, Caine still believed he was better than me. I admit, he did have more kills than I did, but he failed one mission that I wouldn't.

Wallace was a millionaire as well as Winston Canyon's mayor. He claimed to do right by the town, but in reality he used the money from fundraisers for his own foul acts. He was not a good man. I hated him with every fiber of my being. He was a spider weaving his web of lies.

"Take the shot Nissa, before it's too late." The communicator in my right ear caused me to jolt, the aim I had on Wallace lost.

"Damn it," I cursed. I clenched my teeth and hissed in pain when they sank into the muscle of my tongue, leaving behind the taste of blood.

"Maybe you should have better focus," Caine mentioned, "considering you're an expert and all."

I ignored him as I refocused my aim back to Wallace. I wouldn't fail, I couldn't. This would determine if I could move up my rank in the Annihilators. I couldn't afford to miss.

With a deep breath, I made sure my aim was spot on then got comfortable, my index finger rested on the trigger lightly. Adrenaline coursed through my veins.

One shot. Just one shot between the eyes, that's all.

Through the lens of the scope I saw one of Wallace's bodyguards as they began to usher him off the podium. Panic seared through me, but I collected myself and pressed down on the trigger.

I felt the kick of the rifle as the bullet escaped the barrel. The cartridge traveled at flying speed and lodged itself between Wallace's eyes. My scope was still raised and I could see the blood spurt out of the bullet wound. Wallace fell backwards and right then, I knew I was victorious.

Now, the only problem was to clear out before I was caught.

[© michellehayley ]