12. reign of the fallen | short story

HE RAN HIS index finger over her bottom lip, his claws tickled her skin, and not once did his heterochromia eyes leave her fiery orange ones. She focused on his different colored orbs, one hazel and the other ivy green. They were the same eyes she had always treasured ever since the day the two had married.

"You are too... exquisite for this world, my love." He said as he slowly moved his free hand to her left cheek. "I am not quite favorable of leaving you here. Humans are an impetuous race, they do not think before they act. You could be harmed."

She leaned into his touch, savoring how he felt. "Then do not leave me here, my darling. Take me back to our realm, back home, so we may reign once again. Together."

"You and I are both fallen, my love. As much as I would love to take you back home with me, we cannot risk going back together. If caught, we would be killed immediately."

She rolled her eyes, thinking about those who wanted them dead back home. "They will never understand." Her fingernails slid back and sharp claws like knives slipped out from underneath. "Our kind are just like mortals; impulsive and brainless."

Their surroundings fell quiet, all that they heard were the breaths that came from their mouths. He placed his hands on her hips, felt every curve, his claws dug deep into her skin which left small trickles of blood, and then he pulled her to him, as close as they could possibly be. "That is why our kind need to be ruled over." He leaned down until his head landed in the crook of her neck. She felt him as he left small nibbles on her skin and she sighed in pleasure. "Do you plan to go without a proper goodbye, darling?" She questioned.He removed his head from her neck and met her eyes. "Of course not, my love."

They laid on the floor of the building they were located in with only each other as the covers

They laid on the floor of the building they were located in with only each other as the covers. They were lucky that the building had been abandoned long ago. Their legs were intertwined with the other's and the pale moonlight entered through the broken windows, decorated them in it's beautiful glow. Their hands were clasped together as they stared into one another's eyes.

"Promise me," A light kiss on her arm, "that you will be," Another kiss to her arm, this time another spot, "discreet while living in the mortal world?"

She grinned and leaned forward to kiss him, lips molded together. Their kiss was burning hot, like molten lava. Their hands had unclasped somewhere in between the kiss and soon, he had his on the small of her back, felt her smooth skin underneath them. She rolled over and onto his chest while their lips were still collided, her hands placed firmly on his chest.

When their kiss ended, he asked again with a hand on her cheek, "So, will you?"

"Will I...?" Another one of her mischievous grins.

"You know what I speak of, my love."

"You wish for me to promise to be considerate while I live in the mortal world. You wish for me to shed my true skin and blend in, to become nothing. Is that correct?"

"I did not mean it in that way-"

"It is quite alright, darling, but you of course know that I cannot make such a promise."

"I do, but you must so you may stay hidden."

"I will be fine, I can handle myself. I am a queen, am I not?"

He nodded. "You are, Lakshmi. And I, Ragnor, am your king." A small amount of time passed and Ragnor broke the comfortable silence between them. "I must go now, our realm calls for me."

Lakshmi closed her eyes and let out a long breath of air. "I will miss you, darling."

"I will miss you as well, my love."

- - -

I hope you enjoyed this! It's my favorite short story that's in this book :)