Ch.4 Diagonal Exploration

The goblin was regarding him with curious eyes as Caelum straightened and ran a hand over his hair. The family ring fit him perfectly – as all magical rings were designed to – and Caelum let it catch the light and admired the shining spirals of black and silver. He smiled, satisfied and happy the ring looked the same here as it had in his world. He gave it a little snap. The ring instantly turned invisible but he could still feel it on his finger and any creature with a gift for seeing magic could see the glow on his right hand.

"I see you are familiar with the functions of the ring."

Caelum gave Ragnuk an even look. "As I have repeatedly said, I have a deep connection with my magic and the family magic just connected with it. How could I not know what it is capable of?"

The mage knew he was being rude but it felt good to have access to his family magic again, especially since he was tired enough to fall asleep on his feet. He only wished he could have claimed the Potter magic as well but he did not want to steal anything from Harry. Sirius was another matter because Caelum had gotten the impression his godfather (Harry's godfather actually) wanted nothing to do with his Black inheritance. He'd run away from home when he was sixteen, after all. Or maybe he hadn't, in this world. But then again, he had been referred to as a blood traitor...

This brought his attention to the one problem that was Sirius's unjust imprisonment. He turned his eyes to Ragnuk and was just about to speak his mind when he remembered to be polite and closed his mouth. Ragnuk seemed to find this amusing. Fortunately.

"Since you claim you are bound by vows – and I somewhat believe you – further discussion on your profound knowledge on goblins and our customs will be put on hold. But I do require an oath from you."

Caelum nodded – he had expected no less. Ragnuk made a good king and no ruler should let rogues roam free. The mage was a rogue. As he'd earlier realized, someone unattached and undeclared with his knowledge and skills was bound to make people nervous. That was why he was creating a foothold in society for himself. Well, that and the possible benefits it would have on his and Severus' relationship.

Deciding on the wording took Caelum about thirty seconds, after which he gracefully rose from his chair only to kneel before Ragnuk. " – I, Caelum Black, swear never to use my knowledge on goblins to their evident disadvantage, nor to my own personal advantage. This I swear to Prince Ragnuk of goblins, by gold and gain. – "

" – I, Ragnuk the Third, accept your vow." There had been a long pause until the prince spoke and Caelum had to stop himself from sighing in relief when he finally did. His vow was not nearly the strongest but it was the only one he was ready to give. Too many vows already bound his magic and with the changes going on with him and the Emerald soon magic would mean his life as well. He stopped himself from rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"Thank you." Caelum nodded his appreciation and returned to his chair. Now business. "Who is the accountant of the Black fortunes? I would like to request his services in several matters."

Ragnuk got up and moved to the cabinet standing on his left. He opened the second to the top drawer, letting it slide. And slide. And slide. Until it hit the opposite wall. Caelum hid his amazement though taking into consideration the amount of clients the goblins handled he shouldn't have been surprised.

"Your account manager seems to be Gobteeth," Ragnuk read from the thick folder he'd picked from the drawer. One nod sent the same guard away, this time on a mission to find the accountant. "And as you probably are aware, the Black family has a long history as our clients. You are currently in possession of four vaults: 379, 500, 501, and 711. Would you like a tour?"