Ch.8 Another World

"Okay, so the bathroom is through that door," the mage explained after he'd put the slightly shaken Harry down on the floor in his bedroom. The boy was looking suspiciously around the dark room, his green eyes reflecting the light coming from the hallway. "I'll find you some clothes and you can take a bath. Sorry to say you really need it... Though don't look through the cabinets; there might be some nasty surprises." He waited to see if Harry had any questions and smiled encouragingly when he looked unsure.

"Ah... Who are you?" asked Harry, looking at him warily from beneath his bangs.

"I'm Caelum Black." The wary look didn't disappear and Caelum cocked his head to the right, wondering what was wrong. Harry wasn't even looking him in the eyes. It was rather like... "Oh!" the mage exclaimed, causing the raven haired boy to start in surprise and fright. The man immediately began to unveil his face, and smiled at the small boy before him. "Sorry, I completely forgot I still had this on. But it was good I did or I would have had to Obliviate Albus."

"Obu-li-vi-a-tee?" the boy asked taking in his features and Caelum sighed. Unconsciously he sent the veil to the non-place, only to realise his mistake when Harry jumped in surprise and started to inch towards the open door leading to the hallway.

"Harry." His voice was serious and the boy froze and shuddered. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." Caelum kneeled on the floor to be on the same eye level with his younger version. He ran a hand through his free hair in frustration and saw the boy checking the distance between himself and the door. This was not going well.

"Do you know why the wha- your Uncle didn't like you?" Well, one had to start somewhere. Caelum had been nine when he'd discovered he was magical and forced his Aunt to tell him. It was clear that hadn't happened here and Harry seemed to be a tad more delicate than Caelum at his age. Maybe it was a good sign.

Harry blinked at the question. "He said I was... a waste of space. And a freak." At least Caelum now got his attention.

"Do you know why he said those things?" A shake of head. "He was afraid."

"Of me?" Never say the kid wasn't smart, but now Harry was doing a perfect imitation of Gobteeth when Caelum had told the goblin Sirius was innocent. The unsaid afterthought was clearly heard by the mage and he smirked. He got up and stretched before turning the smirk into a grin.

"Yep. Of you. You know all those times you did something weird? Have you ever heard of normal people doing anything like that? Like... like..." What had he done before turning five? Who the hell remembered that far back? So he settled for the simplest. "Like magic?"

Harry was still looking at him as if he was crazy, but at least now there was also a contemplative look on his face. Caelum refrained from using Legilimency and checking the boy's experiences. Battles were won partly through patience – something he'd learned.

"Think about it while you bathe," the mage said and pointed on the bathroom door that opened seemingly on its own. "Think of every time you've done anything you've only seen in a movie or read about in a book, or something your Uncle got mad about. You can take all the time you want and use everything in view to wash yourself with. I'll put your new clothes and a towel on the bed and there will be a White Hawk waiting for you here when you're done. She'll take you to the kitchen." He ushered Harry into the bathroom before adding, "I'm sorry but can you please give me the chance to explain before trying to escape? As I promised, I will take you back if you want to return, and London really isn't a place for ten year olds to wander around in alone."

He closed the door behind him, effectively gaining privacy to do what he needed to do. First he called the Deathly Hallows to him and sent them to non-space, feeling the familiar protection settle over his mind and body once more. After that was done with he pulled a pair of trousers and socks from the wardrobe, as well as a long-sleeved shirt and a robe. It was disheartening how much he had to shrink the clothes before he thought they were small enough to fit Harry. A flick of his fist as he was leaving and the robe turned into a soft terry towel. Caelum quickly strode to the kitchen through the dark hallways. He felt eyes on himself and asked, "Can you please come to the kitchen, Kreacher? We have a guest and I hope he will be staying."