Ch.11 Up the Game

His Master had known how to drive in his original universe. In fact, he had been a magnificent driver.

Apparently that was a skill the man was to pick up in the next ten years because at the moment Caelum had to cast a levitation spell anchored to Harry and his seats to keep them from banging against the ceiling, windows and other seats as the Mind Arts Master went a little crazy with the gears. Caelum silently apologised to their car for the rough handling it was getting and thanked his luck when the ride lasted only ten minutes. Harry's legs wobbled beneath him as he shot out of the vehicle after it came to a sudden halt. Caelum followed at a more dignified pace and carefully blanked his face.

Before them stood a shabby house on the shore of a lake. He vaguely recognized the place from some of the talks he and his Master had shared but had never been here before. This was supposed to be the man's sanctuary, the place where no one else was welcomed.

Might be another difference between the universes.

"In, in. How's your conjured tea?"

"Mediocre," Caelum answer while making sure Harry was alright. He was clearly nervous and distrustful of the man but apparently trusted Caelum enough to go along with this at the moment. Then again when Caelum left him alone with the eccentric teacher... Better not think about that yet.

They followed the man inside the house. It was clear that expansion charms were in use as the outward appearance had definitely not prepared them to step into a luxurious suite complete with the latest muggle technology. Caelum huffed under his breath at the word "latest" his mind had supplied. More like ancient. Additionally a fourth of the room seemed to be dedicated to the man's practice. There were books piled on the floor, potions workstation and Caelum recognized some of the concentration enhancers he'd used.

When he'd stayed in a cave.

And ran under the blazing sun.

Without even a wish for luxuries.

...

"Alright, what's the delay? Tea, tea."

Turning to the table standing comfortably in the kitchen area, Caelum called for his holly wand and with a swish produced a beautiful china tea set for three. The wand was returned to the non-space before Caelum took a seat, Harry nervously following his example. Their host busied himself with pouring their tea.

"Now, as I understand it, you're both carrying some serious darkness within you. You especially." He pointed at Caelum. "Where or whenever I've taught you, for me to reveal that technique you must have been in a pretty serious situation. Not to mention dangerous. And it's affecting you even to this day because those shields hide even existence. Kind of like the Untouchables."

He tasted his tea and grimaced. "The boy again needs to start with the basics. And those start with isolating the dark entity attached to his soul from his psyche and magic. At the moment it's muddling his senses and I won't have it."

"I have a what?" Harry asked, his tea sitting before him untouched. Caelum felt uneasy with this approach. He was so young... Should he be told or not? And taking this approach would lead to him making the same mistakes Dumbledore had done with him... It was Harry's life and he had the right to make his own decisions and to know his own destiny. And his Master spoke as if confining the horcrux was somehow possible.

But what would be the effect on Harry if the boy found out about carrying a soul particle from the murderer of his parents? Especially now without the support of an occluded and organized mind? He'd seen older men go insane with the darkness of Voldemort and he would, could not risk his younger counterpart.