Ch.6 Finding a Solution

The mage shot out of the bed and was out in the hallway before he even realized he was still only wearing trousers that were only nearly hanging on his hips and that his tattoo was visible for all the world to see. He couldn't go to Brighton like this.

So he turned on his heels and returned to get some acceptable clothing from the wardrobe that he'd filled with his earlier purchases. He was pulling a robe over his head to cover his naked torso when he felt a cold touch on his ankle and literally jumped – on top of the wardrobe door. The hinges barely held.

"What isss thisss? You are marked," Syl complained but Caelum was too busy to get down from his involuntary perch to pay attention to the snake. He stared at the door for a long while, wondering how in seven hells had he been able to jump five feet straight upwards like it was nothing. Then his initial hurry settled in.

"Sssyl, I forgot to do sssomenthing. I will return ssshortly." He yanked the robe in place and summoned his coat that still looked like a long muggle one. He would have Apparated if not for Syl springing and draping himself around his shoulders and neck. "What are you doing?" he demanded. The snake tightened around him and he readied himself to blast the reptile off.

"The ssstone told you to sssleep. I told you to sssleep. White Wingsss agreesss. Why won't you ressst?" He sounded pretty annoyed at being forced to act as a babysitter. Caelum took a deep breath, readying himself to slash at the green snake. But the words died in his mouth. What was his hurry? Why was getting to see Harry such a compulsion? He backed and sat on his bed. Syl slithered onto his lap.

"What isss it?"

"I do not know." Caelum took a deep breath, searching for the answer inside him. Why was it important? Why did he feel such a need to make sure Harry was alright? Because I'm him? Because I need to be sure I didn't harm another innocent accidentally? But the holly wand was in the shop and I still have mine. Why would it be any different with living things? The tree and phoenix were alive before being turned into a wand. The whole world of magic is alive, he pondered while slowly scratching Syl's head. He did not find an answer but could still feel the need to ascertain his younger self's safety.

He was just about to ask Syl if he agreed to come with him instead when a bell rang downstairs. The mage sat up straighter and summoned the Staff to his hand. He listened. One, two, three... Four times the bell rang announcing arrivals by floo.

How could I forget to ward the house and the floo? But still... only related blood should be able to come through. If Narcissa and Draco are two of them, who are the others? Or maybe enemies?

"Hide," he hissed at Syl that had also heard the bells and obeyed without objection. Caelum sent the Staff away and was already applying cover-up on his face, neck and right hand when Kreacher popped next to him. Giving himself out was stupid and he could wandlessly take care of any four people.

"Who are they?" he asked the elf. The ancient creature gave a little bow.

"Blood of the Mistress and Master. Shall Kreacher welcome them?"

"No." Caelum tied his hair back. "Stay out of sight. You may listen but remember: you are not allowed to talk to any of them. I'll take care of them."

The house elf obviously wanted to object but at Caelum's cold glare bowed again and disappeared. The mage checked the tattoo and nodded in acceptance. Then he hid the true colour of his eyes. If these were Black relatives of his he needed to be as Black as he possibly could. It was fortunate the blood adoption had changed his features or any pureblood could have recognized the Potter characteristics.

He slowly exited the bedroom and slid along the hallways. He could hear voices from the Drawing room and narrowed his eyes in concentration. His senses confirmed there were three women and one man in the room and all were elderly. Who the hell are they? he wondered. Regulus had been the only Black he'd dealt with and here the brothers' situations were almost reversed. Unless his "brothers" had done the impossible and risen from grave and escaped from Azkaban there was no knowing who these people were.