Forget About Me (5)

Prince Sam woke three days after the attack. His head wound was stitched closed along with several other smaller lacerations, but other than that, he could recount the entire set of events and it matched word for word what Tom had reported to the queen.

When the reached the origin of the smoke, they stumbled upon a small camp of Southern Kingdom knights. They were around the fire, planning out an attack on the unsuspecting Eastern Kingdom. Being so close to their borders, they never expected to be caught by anyone, let alone the prince of the kingdom they were about to attack. Tom and the prince tried to outrun them and make it back to their horses, but they were cut off by an assassin, probably the same one that Adaline had killed later that night. They fought valiantly, but once the prince was knocked unconscious, Tom surrendered and just prayed that the princess would make it back in time and someone would come save them. They were tied to a tree for several hours as the Southern Kingdom knights changed their plans into a ransome. The Eastern Kingdom or their son's head. If the prince hadn't been with Tom, they would have killed him on the spot.

Their plans were thwarted once again when the kings and their men stormed the camp. Everyone parished other than the prince and Tom, including almost all of the Southern Kingdom's knights that were in attendance. Their general was the only one who remained and he alone captured and kidnapped the kings during all the chaos of the battle.

The queen had begun to plan with her general's the second she found out about the kidnapping from Adaline and Tom. Adaline was present for the meeting, but was not allowed to speak when it came to battle strategy, even though she had spent her whole life learning from her mother and the knights in her own kingdom.

Tom was treated for his wounds and was back up on his horse in less than two days, but the plan couldn't move forward until the prince was able to make the two day journey to the Western Kingdom on his own power. When he woke and was able to tell, in detail, what had happened, they became very optimistic that he would be up and about in no time.

A week after the attack, Adaline prepared to return to the Northern Kingdom and the Prince assured his mother that he was ready to travel, and against her better judgment, she trusted him.

Adaline was packing her things in the room where she had been staying when she heard a knock at the door. She expected it to be one of the palace guards telling her that her horse and carriage were ready, but she was met with dirty blonde hair and a cocky smirk. As she opened the door, his eyes traveled down her body which was covered in a navy colored dress without a corset or frame so ti clung to her figure before falling in waves at her hips.

"Hello, darling." Prince Sam rasped, inviting himself into the room, brushing past her as she stood against the frame. His hand came dangerously close to her backside and if it weren't for his injuries, she would have crippled him right there on the floor of his own castle.

"Did you need something?" she retorted, wanting to be rid of the foul man as soon as she could.

"I just thought you could give me a kiss for good luck since I will be traveling a great distance. It could be dangerous," he winked, almost causing the princess's breakfast to reappear before them.

"Why don't you go kiss your horse, he'll be the one suffering on that trip," she spat, pushing past him to continue throwing her things in a trunk. She felt his body near hers, even without looking and when she turned, jumping when she realized he was only inches from her face. His hands reached out for her hips, pulling her so she was flush with his body.

"As much as I am going to miss your charming whit while I'm gone, you aren't coming with me, so you will be accompanied by one of my men on the journey back," Sam continued, his lips brushing her cheek as he spoke into her ear