Chapter 3 // Every Little Detail

Chloe's POV.

Okay, I know that jet lag only really occurs when you're flying somewhere with a different timezone. However, even an hour or two of flying always manages to make me extremely worn out. Of course, after flying I would normally head straight to the hotel, check in, and then immediately take a nap. Instead of that, I have to immediately head to the crime scene with Reid.

The roadside where the bodies were dumped was fairly close to the police station, telling us that the unsub most likely lives nearby and has not expanded outside of his comfort zone just yet. The woman that had been killed and dumped there last night was Rachel Smith, a nineteen year old freshman in college. The other agents that had already arrived at the scene told us that she had finished her last class of the day and was about to head back to her dorm room, but never showed up. Her roommate wasn't fully concerned until 12 AM, when she finally called the police after calling Rachel's number repeatedly and getting sent to voicemail each time. Agent Morgan and JJ were sent to talk to the roommate.

As me and Reid got closer and closer to the body of Rachel Smith, I could feel the knots in my stomach get twisted even more. It was one thing to see the gruesome pictures, it was another thing to see everything in person. I could see every little detail from the dried blood around her eyes and mouth, to the deepness of the bullet wound in her forehead, to the blueness of her lips and fingertips. It was absolutely horrifying to say the least. I'm sure that Reid could sense my uneasiness, because he gave me a quick shoulder squeeze before bending down to examine the body. I decided to question one of the police officers.

"Hello, sir. I'm Agent Campbell from the BAU of Quantico. I have a few questions, if you don't mind." The officer turned to face me, the look of stress was evident. "Oh, so they decided to bring in some agents from Virginia? Those damn detectives don't believe that we can do anything around here." His tone was the least bit friendly, and I got the feeling that he wouldn't exactly be much help. "Look, we're just here to help. I understand that you're all trying your hardest to solve this case, so are we. The more people there are, the quicker this case will be solved. Now, do you have any knowledge of whether or not these women had their eyes and mouths sewn shut before or after they were killed?" My tone wasn't exactly sweet, either, but this man should not have been so arrogant. Especially when they were having trouble solving the case by themselves.

"What I've heard was that, yes, the sewing of the eyes and mouth was done before they were shot. The detectives were able to figure it out because the blood from the eyes had already been dry by the time that they found the body while the blood from the bullet to the forehead was still fresh." By this point, Reid had joined me and we both looked at each other before thanking the officer and heading back to the car. Reid called Agent Hotchner to fill him in on our new information. Once he hung up, we started driving to the police station to meet with the rest of the team. "This means that the unsub chose his victims for personal reasons, right? The sewing of the eyes and mouth and then dumping them off to the side of the road shows no remorse. Whoever the unsub is, clearly had hatred towards these women." I looked over at Reid, whose eyebrows were scrunched like he was in deep concentration. "It also means that the unsub is most likely a man in his early twenties. Maybe even eighteen or nineteen. Those women we can assume were either his girlfriends at one point, or two girls that had rejected him for whatever reason. He didn't like what they had to say to him, or the way that they saw him, so he sewed their eyes and mouths shut to symbolize that." He responded, his eyebrows still scrunched and eyes still focused sharply on the road.

Once we arrived at the police station, there had already been a conference room set up for our team. I grabbed a cup of coffee before joining the rest at the table. We went over the case and shared any new details that we had discovered. "We're ready to work up a profile," Agent Hotchner announced, "Agent Campbell, I want you to go with Reid outside to meet with the reporters, the rest of us will give the profile to the other officers." I raised a brow before quickly nodding my head. He wanted me to talk to the reporters? God, that man really had faith in me. Which I guess that I should take that as a compliment even though it made me extremely nervous. I needed to live up to not only his, but the rest of my teams expectations now. I cannot fail them.