Chapter 26 // More Than An Eidetic Memory

***Author's Note: Hello everyone!! I just wanted to say thank you SO SO much for almost 8K reads! You're all so amazing. The song that I listened to while writing this chapter is So Cold by Ben Cocks. So definitely listen to that while reading this chapter if you'd like! x

Spencer's POV.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened that door, but I definitely did not expect to see our unsub wearing a vest with explosives. Her thumb was pressed so hard on the button to release them that her entire hand had turned white and was shaking.

"Hey, guys,um-  I think that you should wait outside. " I said to Chloe, Rossi, and Morgan.

"What? Why?" Chloe asked, concern filling her voice. "Amelia and I are just going to talk. Please, go outside. Now." I demanded, not wanting to let them know what kind of a situation we were in. What's going on, Reid?" Rossi asked. "Come on, kid. We're not leaving you." Morgan added, pushing me even more over the edge.

"Go!" I shouted, suddenly becoming angry. I wanted them to be safe, didn't they understand that? After a few seconds of silence, they finally gave up and walked down the stairs.

"Amelia, you don't have to do this." I assured her, slowly putting away my gun before keeping my hands up to show her that I was unarmed.

"You're going to take away my baby." She replied. Her voice was extremely shaky and there were tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Amelia, you had a miscarriage. That little girl isn't your baby, you kidnapped her. She belongs to another family." I assured her, trying to keep my voice as calm as possible.

"You're a liar!" She yelled, causing me to flinch. Although I was a member of the FBI, I was always stepping out of my comfort zone full of dry erase boards and mathematic equations whenever I had to confront an unsub.

"Please, just tell me where she is so I can save both you and her." I said as I walked towards her.

"Don't come any closer." She warned me, raising her hand with the button up in the air. "Where is she, Amelia? Where is Taylor?" I begged, desperately wanting to find that poor little girl and save her because I knew that once I said the wrong thing, Amelia would release the button, killing all three of us.

Without saying a word, her eyes traveled towards a door in the corner of the room, silently telling me where Taylor was. Opening the door, I immediately spotted her sitting in the corner with her hands tied and her mouth taped. Quickly, I untied her hands and carefully peeled the tape off, making sure not to hurt her more than she had already been. 

"If I can't have her, no one can." I heard Amelia say from outside of closet, and immediately, panic set in and I ran as fast as I could out of that room with Taylor in my arms. I'm not sure how far I got, considering in those few seconds, it was as if I completely blacked out. 

However, I had gotten far enough from the house that the explosion did not hit me. The noise did cause an extremely loud ringing in my ears, though. I didn't realize that I was still laying on the ground until Taylor, who ended up next to me, starting tapping on my arm to make sure that I was still alive. Surprisingly, there weren't tears in her eyes and she did not seem upset by any means. She actually seemed calm and exhausted, and I could see why. It must have taken a toll on her, being where she was and all, and it was great that she felt relief instead of fear. 

"Are you going to take me home?" She asked, most likely unaware of her parents' murder. "Yes, yes I am." I assured her, not wanting to make the situation worse. After getting up on to my feet, I grabbed her hand and led her towards the cops and my team, who were probably almost certain that we were goners.

The looks on their faces once they saw the two of us was something that I'll never forget, and in that moment I realized that this team was everything to me. They were the people that I saw almost daily and they were, obviously not biologically, my second family. And JJ was right, if two of us are angry with eachother, it throws the whole team off. We all functioned as one, and I knew that I owed someone an apology. Not once we got on the plane and not once we returned to Quantico, but now.

It was Chloe's face once she saw me alive that would stay plastered in my mind forever, and not just because my memory was eidetic. One of the cops led Taylor into a cop car, and I heard them say something about her aunt and uncle being at the police station. Although everything sounded muffled and distant.

Apparently I had been standing still for the past few minutes, staring at her. And now she had gotten closer and her arms were wrapped around me extremely tight that it was almost uncomfortable but I couldn't help but hug back just as tight, because if I hadn't run as fast as I did, I would've never gotten the chance to hug her this way.

I had to apologize, and I had to tell her what I had been hiding for so long.