Whimsy's instincts

Whimsy woke up, sensing great danger on Mary's behalf. The little charge was gone. He tore out of the cave, dodging tree branches and spiderwebs. He heard the Mary scream somewhere close by, but it was too dark to see. He stoped and sniffed the air. he called for her. "Whimsy!" He heard the little girl cry in distress.
"Mary! I'm coming!" And he took off running again.
Whimsy came to a halted stop. Before him was his charge. A young feral guardian was circling her.
"Mary, be very quiet" whimsy said calmly, watching the tears streaming down her face. "Before You is a second-rate guardian. A guardian of the unpleasant; people like your father. These guardians have an unfavorable attitude so don't make any sudden movements. I'm going to get you out of this."
Mary whimpered a barely audible "ok" to whimsy.
The dark gray wolf stopped and snarled at whimsy. He fixed his eyes on the fox and crouched down into his pouncing position. Compared to the wolf, Whimsy was puny and probably wouldn't stand a chance in a fight between the two.
Whimsy had to think quick. He crouched down and growled at the wolf.
The wolf took a step toward him and threatened whimsy with a bark. Whimsy saw the moment of opportunity and nodded at The little girl. Mary, who was now hushed, saw whimsy's motion and agreed.
Whimsy and the wolf jumped at each other and Mary screamed.
The wolf grabbed whimsy's front leg and whimsy grabbed the wolf's neck. They fought, biting at each other. The wolf's performance was off and whimsy new this was because he was hurt. This was the advantage whimsy needed to win.
Whimsy jumped over the wolf and pushed his head hard onto the ground. The little girl took her moment and grabbed a handful of white fur.
Two seconds later Mary was on whimsy's back and they were running, maneuvering though the tree's. The wolf followed, stumbling and tripping. Mary heard him hit the ground and there was no longer any twigs snapping behind them. They burst through the Autiniumn boarder and into Sprigaria.