Sleep

Whimsy couldn't see anything. It was pitch black. What he assumed was the bottom of a cave beneath his feet was wet and slimy. He could hear something dripping slowly, echoing off of the walls. He realized that he was in a small room. His leg was badly injured and he could feel warm blood trickling down his paw as he limped against the walls he assumed he must have been going in circles; the dripping stayed in his left ear as he pushed his right side to the wall. There was no door or exit along the walls so he made his way towards the middle of the room where the dripping got louder as he inched closer.
A cold drop of water landed on his head and the dripping noise ceased. He felt the ground below his feet. There was nothing but a slimy puddle of freezing water. He quickly moved his paws and jumped back onto his hurt paw causing him to tumble over and wince in pain.The dripping noise picked up where it left off as if it had never been disrupted. Whimsy looked up as if he could see the roof. The only other possible explanation was that the entrance was up there.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mary was enveloped in the bushy fur of a warm wolf. Her light gray fur upon her back clashed with the jet black of her tail and back bone. She wasn't as big as most of the big-animal guardians, about the same size as whimsy; a runt. She was sound asleep and expecting Mary to do the same, but Mary stared up at the ceiling and relaxed her head on the wolf's stomach. She didn't know what to do. Everyone around her was telling her that she could do all these great things, but she felt like an average little girl; nothing special.
It was night time outside and most of the guardians had left, awaiting orders for the next day. A few still hung around, drawing up battle plans in the dirt and showing them to Ma'am most to which she would reply "keep up the hard work. This is good but I think we need to take a more subtle approach", every once in a while she would say "save that. We could use that." Mary's eye lids started getting heavy and she slowly drifted off to sleep. Before she let her self fall into a much needed sleep, she thought over a few things that had happened in the past few days.
Mary sprung back up and took off towards ma'am. She had remembered something.
"MA'AM! My portal! It disappeared already! What am I going to do now?"
Tears welled up in her eyes. Ma'am scooped her up and held her close.
"There there child, we will get whimsy back and he will find your portal. Your not lost, just taking a break on your long journey."
Ma'am's reassuring and calming voice brought Mary's scrambled thoughts back to order.
Mary nodded her head then slid down ma'am's arm and ran back over to the wolf, Toku, who now held her head up realizing that Mary was gone, And buried herself back into her fur. Seconds later she was sound asleep, and dreamt about her and whimsy dancing in a field with her mom. Flowers fell and drifted around them and they soaked in the sunlight.