five

His eyes slipped to the window when he left, watching the boy walk further and further away from his house.

However the boy disappeared into the air in front of Jimin's eyes, as if dissolving into the composition of the atmosphere. Perhaps Jimin just wasn't  into it today, maybe he saw him walk all the way down the hill and turn the corner on the street that was still visible from where he stood.

But Jimin was sure that he just thinned out of his sight.

And that was when he began to wonder what the boy really was.

On this particular Wednesday he decided to take a different route home. There was no particular reason for this decision and perhaps it was a subconscious move.

This route took him past an abandoned construction jungle, a tower of sorts rising above the sea. He paused to look at it. The silhouette sharp against the pink and yellow sky and reflective waters.
He thought about it, how it was almost familiar to him. Perhaps he saw a painting somewhere, maybe a stray photographer selling his photos on the streets for 50cents has this scene in his collection.
Whatever it was, he stood looking out into the horizon for a long time, slow long breaths, and shaking hands.

He pulled his camera out and took a shot of the scene, something was missing, perhaps a cloud or ray of sun, or maybe something bigger and more noticeable entirely was disrupting the composition on the photo piece. However Jimin did not dwell on it there and then. With cold fingertips he slipped the Polaroid into his pocket and continued to walk home, white clouds forming from his warm breathing.

The cat was sleeping on the trainers when he arrived home.
The curtains where shut and it was just that time of dusk, when the yellow and orange streaks slowly slipped out of his living room, replaced by the silvery blue glow of night.

He went back to his usual routine. A bathtub of burning Polaroid, and a night of complete silence.
Except for one small change.

Today's sunset was not one that would blend in on the cork board.
He stared at the photo as he pinned it up, not in line with with rest, but right in the middle, a bit crooked but securely placed.
He stared until his mind dug up the old memories.

"Have you remembered?" The boy asked. Holding a strawberry in his hand, straight from the bowl of water, cold droplets running down his hand.
Jimin looked at him, and perhaps he knew the boy before, perhaps at some point in his life, it was all he has ever known.

"And you smiled, when you dived in. Like you were never coming back."

He popped the strawberry into his mouth, hand slowly reaching for another one.
The boy looked at him, with a certain darkness in his eyes that resembles the oceans at night.
But as quick as it appeared, it disappeared.

Replaced by a transparent brown.

He knew those eyes.

"I'm glad you remember me, Jimin."