nine

There was something about the letter on his desk that was not in his list of things that he considered normal. Jimin didn't receive letters—at least not personally. His mother received letters about him, from schools and doctors and even a couple from tutors.
And the only letter that he recalled ever being directed to him was from his brother, on the first Christmas he truly and vividly remembered. A small one, in a handmade envelope that was nothing to be proud of, made less horrible with puffy dinosaur stickers, that Jimin just loved as a child, and written with glittery green pens, because that was his brothers favourite colour.

The letter on his desk right now, was in a pink envelope, made out of what looked to be really expensive paper- like handmade or cotton, his name neatly written in the center.

It seemed to be staring back at him.

He picked it up, touching it confirmed his predictions, the paper was sturdy but oddly soft.

Without waiting any longer he opened it, taking out the light beige paper out the enveloped and taking a seat on his brothers bottom bunk bed to begin reading.

"Hi Jimin, today the skies are a pale blue, and the sun is a pale yellow- today is a pale day overall. But don't worry, at midday everything will begin to gain more colour. There's a sale today at the department store, and the neighbours adopted a puppy. It's a royal breed. He won't bring any food today, but your mom will pack extra because your lunch box was empty yesterday.
Take care today, whatever you do. However don't let the pink haired boy in."

He took a glance outside, and indeed the sky wasn't an exciting shade of blue, and the sun didn't seem to be working hard either. He shrugged it off and hoped that was the only thin the letter for right.

The door opened and his brother peeked in.
"Listen Jimin, you need to hurry up and get dressed other wise you won't have time to eat- come on, chop chop"
Jimin nodded and once he left, tucked the letter under his pillow, before pulling on his uniform one piece of clothing after one.

He walked down into the kitchen where a bowl of rice was waiting for him, his brother already by the sink washing his own bowl.

"She said that we're going shopping after school, so we're picking you up."
Jimin cocked his head to the side, he didn't recall his mother ever taking the two shopping at once, usually they would go with her separately.
"Shopping? What's the occasion?"
His brother shrugged "I don't know, she mentioned something about big sales."

Jimin dropped his spoon on the floor, it rattled but he didn't seem to be startled, his eyes widened with realisation.

"Hey Jimin, you ok?"

Jimin shook his head and picked up his spoon from the floor, leaving his food mainly uneaten and walking  towards the countertop upon which his lunchbox was all ready to take.
He packed it into his bag and waited by the door for his brother to leave for school.

It was a late lunch today, at around 1:30, and like the letter stated, the dullness of today's morning was fading away. They sat by the windows, the sun falling into the room with harsh rays but warm against their skin.
Jimin was resting his face in his hands, talking to Taehyung about something rather unimportant— maybe the topic of fruit loops all being the same flavour or wether a koala could be kept as a pet, whatever the topic of their discussion was, Jimin never asked about Taehyung's newspaper wrapped sandwiches and Taehyung never asked why he always had nuggets for lunch.

The door burst open at precisely 1:47. Jimin remembered because he was staring at the clock above the chalkboard- wondering how the time on them kept going despite it having stopped in the room.
The boy had a lighter clutched in one hand as he pressed his back against the door, he was gasping for air yet sighing in relief, and it took him a few moments to realise he wasn't alone.
Taehyung pushed his chair back as he walked up to the boy, hands in his trouser pockets, eyes demanding.

"Ok listen, here's  the deal- let me hide in here for today-"
"Why should I?"
"Well, one because I'm older-"
"Wrong answer, try again"
The boy furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance. "Little brat" he muttered under his breath, he dug around in his blazers inside pocket before pulling out  crumpled 2000won banknote and stuffing it into Taehyung's breast pocket.

The younger kissed his teeth before returning to sit opposite Jimin.

There was a few moments of, in Jimin's opinion, awkward silence; which primarily consisted of Taehyung finishing the rest of his food while eyeing the older boy that intruded their little space of privacy.
Jimin nudged his arm and when the focus was on him, gave Taehyung a look that said "leave the boy alone, he didn't do anything"
Taehyung sighed and instead focused on the scenery outside. There were some students enjoying their lunch outside on the green patches of the school grounds, some younger ones running around playing some game of stuck in the mud, the sun seemed to provide a summery filter, although summer had just finished.
Jimin began to cough, starting with small little ones- the type that you try to contain because it's really silent, and then when that was no longer an option because the inside of your throat felt like it was being tickled, they became more noticeable.
Taehyung turned to him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion, because it's not like the smoke coming from the other side bothered him at all, because he didn't notice the fumes entering his lungs—almost as if they've become second nature to him.
He looked at Jimin pressing his hand against his mouth and nose,  skin turning a bright shade of pink.

"If you came here to smoke you might as well leave"
"Why is it bothering you? Seems like you're quite used to it"
"This isn't about me, stop being so small brained."

The older boy glances at Jimin, who's shoulders were shaking from trying to contain his coughs.
He rolls his eyes and puts out the cigarette on the table.

Jimin mutters a thank you as he tries to ignore that the boys hair is a dyed a dull pink.