seventeen

The letter he read seemed angry. Disappointment seeped out of its words until Jimin felt guilty, though he didn't know for what and for whom.
He had questioned what it was all for, what the aim of the letters were in the long term, what would the actions achieve, but he never got any answers. He'd hoped to receive a letter one day explaining what everything was for, but he never received such a letter, instead in its place he found the usual account of his day, some information of what had happened, maybe a question asking him how he was doing- and more instructions.
The blue haired boy had entered the classroom, he had let him, but did anything bad come of it? He thought not. They were friends now, so it must be quite the opposite of bad. He had friends he never had before, and in his mind that couldn't possibly be bad.

He didn't completely disregard the letters, he had gotten that camera for Seokjin hadn't he? And what was the use of that? What normal person gifted someone they barely knew with a camera?

This letter didn't come with more instructions, it ended just like that, after which Jimin closed it, slid it back into its envelope and put it in a folder he had set aside for them. There were too many to keep hiding them under the pillow.

"don't let him find the piano" he remembered while lying in bed that night. "it's at the back of the classroom"
What could have he done to prevent that? Seemingly nothing. Jimin shook his head to try get rid of all the questions, but it didn't work and he spent the whole night awake being haunted by them.

The letters had stopped coming after that. He didn't find them tucked into the pages of his textbooks or falling out the pockets of his coats when he put them on, and soon enough he had completely forgotten about them, distracted by the constant need to revise for the upcoming end of year exams.
Like that they spent the last few months of school-noses stuck in the textbooks.
The classroom was the only place they ever looked up, often times just having easy going discussions about nothing in particular.
Often times they were never in the classroom all at the same time.

After the discovery of the piano, Jungkook and Yoongi would use it when they had the room to themselves; the younger would arrange three desks in a row and lie on top, hands behind his head as a pillow as he stared at the ceiling and listened to Yoongi play.

Nothing fancy at all, and the peddle made the sound all muffled. Jungkook would pretend Yoongi was playing under water form how the sound escaped.

There was one particular melody Yoongi would always play, simple- must have been less than four or five notes, but Jungkook had come to whistling it. He was a skilled whistler. One day Yoongi decided to put his good hearing to use and teach him how to play the said melody.

Like this, for a few minutes during lunch, they'd play teacher and student and sit by the piano learning the notes until Jungkook could play the melody he loved to whistle so much. In those gentle minutes of the day Jungkook had learnt more about Yoongi than anyone else ever could.

Sometimes the room would be left for Jimin and Taehyung to use, the two falling back into what Taehyung like to call the "old days"- referring to the time before Yoongi and Jungkook and Seokjin. They'd sit in a mutual agreement of silence, sharing their lunch and looking out the windows onto the playground. Their conversations had no words, they communicated through gazes and glances, like so- when something happened out on the playground they'd look at each other just to confirm they both saw it, and then go back to looking out the window.

On a particularly gloomy day, when it was raining so hard that even the traffic seemed non-existent, Taehyung had shown him his paintings.
Jimin had spent all of lunch looking through them, taking his time to take in every single brush stroke he could. He never asked what any of the paintings meant, feeling that they were all personal to Taehyung. If they weren't he would have shown them earlier.

Nothing much changed after that, Taehyung would still watch Jimin leave from the second floor classroom, only this time the boy was sure to wave a goodbye before following his brother out the school gates.

Hoseok. Sometimes they missed him, and when that happened Jin- as they came to call him- would organise a small trip to the gas station. They were never long, a short half hour, but that was enough to somewhat catch up with each-other, Namjoon joining them during his break. Namjoon, the school drop out that worked hard to cover his fathers hospital bills. That much they learned about him. The boy himself seemed smart though, as if he had been self studying in his spare time. Jin had once suggested he enrol back to school. The topic was dropped down as soon as it was raised, and everyone knew not to speak of it again.
Then they'd all return to their own lives.

Like this they pulled through to the end of year exams. Sitting in the halls and answering maths and science questioned as June creeped up on them in the form of hot air and sweat trickling down their backs.

Soon enough they all separated for summer, hearing nothing of each other until September came round again, and they found themselves all in the classroom at lunch. It was not planned, but it all gave them that satisfaction of old traditions not being broken.
With the new academic year came a handful of new students, that being Hoseok as he transferred following his brother. The room quickly becoming filled with laughter and jokes as the new member of the unnamed club became the embodiment of sunshine itself.

Taehyung had then laughed at the irony of it all-
"What did you say about not making this into a club" he had said to Yoongi in between giggles. The older defended himself saying he only brought Jungkook, Jimin felt this was his turn to say something.
"Well I'm not going to leave Hobi out am I?"

A few months later, in November a new student had enrolled into the school.

Kim Namjoon also became a member of the unnamed club.