Chapter 12 - Back to work

WHIPPET POV

*Biep biep, biep biep*

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling for a while, the alarm still ringing in the background. I didn't want to go to work today.
And believe me, it's the first time I've actually thought something like that.

Yesterday. There was no good thing about yesterday, nothing good pops up to my mind. Except for the fact that both Reidy and Maxi are still alive.

Maybe not in the best shape, but still alive. That's what matters the most.

*Biep biep, biep biep*

But I have to go to work today. What happened is no exception to the fact that I have to be there and save others. I mumbled something as I got up to turn my alarm off, which was getting very annoying and loud. I sighed before walking towards the window to open the curtains and I looked outside.

It was 5:30am and still pretty dark, but to me it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day. I stared for a couple of minutes longer outside, before then finally getting ready. It's not like I live so far away, I just tend to get ready pretty slow.

I quickly ate some breakfast before taking off to work.

HOPPO POV

6:05am
And there it was again, a new day to work. To save lives. First putting everything on place and then wait for the people to come. They are mostly here pretty early anyway, so we wouldn't have to wait too long.

Todays lifeguards were: Whippet, me, Chappo, Harries, and Jesse. It was going to get a very busy day, and I hope we'll manage to get everyone to stay alive.

I believe in our team, we can make anything possible. These guys are really good in their job, even though they make a mistake sometimes. Everyone makes mistakes, and there is nothing wrong with that. You learn from mistakes, and that's what they have done and that's why they're so great in their job.

They never gave up.

HARRIES POV

I don't really know how it happened yesterday, but what I do know is that I feel really bad for them. I guess things like that have to happen after a while though...

Don't get me wrong it's not like I don't really care about them, it's just that I think that it's normal for things like that to happen. I mean, everyone has a period in his or her live where it all gets a bit unbearable.

I really hope they'll get better soon though, because they're good friends of me and I miss them quite a lot. I also feel sorry for Jesse because I know that he really is ultimate best friends with Maxi, so it must be extra difficult for him ,I figured.

Today we'll just try to make the best out of it, since we can't just all take a break from our work and we can't go to the hospital to visit them. We'll save the lost swimmers and hope for the best.

JESSE POV

7:15am
The beach is still quite empty, but the people start flowing onto it, so it won't take too long until it's full.

I don't really care though. I hope it's going to be a rather boring day than a super busy one. But maybe a super busy one is better, then I'll have something else to think about.

Gosh, I just keep stuck with it in my head. It better happened to me, then he wouldn't have to suffer right now. He's not even feeling anything. He probably doesn't know that he's in the hospital. Maxi didn't even wake up yet.

He's in a coma.

And I really wish that it had been me instead of him. Gosh Maxi, why did you have to do that to me?

12:34pm
It's noon now and it's very busy on the beach. Some stupid people who haven't been swimming between the flags almost drowned, and there have been some thefts of wallets and shoes, for a reason I don't know, anyway we haven't been bored.

We didn't have the time yet to be bored. There's always something happening on Bondi beach, sometimes it are good things and sometimes they are a bit less good. But it's never really quiet.

I'm sitting in the tower right now, following the people on the beach, and my colleagues who are also my friends. I had to call the ambulance and the police already a couple of times.

"Jesse" I hear Harries' voice coming through the walki, "We're going to need another ambu. There were some people in backpackers reef that are in trouble and they don't look to well right now."

"Okay, I got it." I replied shortly before taking the telephone and typing in the emergency number to call an ambulance.

And that's about it how the day would continue. But all I could think about was Maxi, well and Reidy too, but more about Maxi.

I just wanted to visit him.

I just wanted it to be me who was lying in that hospital bed.

I just wanted it to be me who had bumped into the rocks.

Sorry for the very late update again...! Thanks for reading and voting btw!
Love you! ;)