Chapter 2 (The REAL Deal): Almost Is Never Enough

Everything in Bold and in parenthesis is an a/n

Elsa's POV

We ran to Jack's house. I didn't realize that I could actually run faster than him. Jack's the quarterback of the football team and he's apparently the fastest one there. I was pretty proud when I beat him there. He told me the address: 7542 Poinsettia Lane (I don't know! It was random! I just thought of #s then a flower and added lane) and I was happy to find out he was my neighbor. I'm 7544 Poinsettia Lane (odds on one side, evens on the other). When Jack showed up he was shocked. "Hey! How did you beat me? I thought you were new to Burgess!!" He whined.

"It's true, I am new to Burgess. It just so happens I'm your neighbor!" I say with a triumphant grin.

"Shut up! I don't believe you! And also no one has ever beaten me!" He says playfully. I giggle.

"Actually, you can't say that anymore! Cause I just did!" I say proudly. We both laugh. Then, he leans in, about to kiss me, but the door swings wide open, revealing a 12-year-old girl. Jack and I pull away and our faces become a really bright red. Almost! I thought. But almost is never enough! (Tribute to Ariana Grande!) I think.

"I thought I heard voices out here!" The girl exclaims. Then she looks at me. "Ooh! Jackie! Who's this?" Jack starts blushing even harder, if that's possible.

"This is Elsa. She's here to work on a project." Jack replies while hugging the girl.

"Mhm. She's just working on a project? Are you sure you don't like her?" She questions Jack. Jack looks at me not knowing how to respond. I just shrug and give him a look saying 'don't look at me'! He just laughs at the girl.

"Now Emma, why do you think I like Elsa?" He says while looking at me. I think I started blushing even more and he chuckled.

"Well first she's really pretty, second your faces are both a bright red and third you were..." He cuts her off.

"I think that's enough Emma." He covers her mouth and picks her up. He started turning red again, either out of embarrassment or anger. "Just one moment please." He says politely while carrying Emma inside. Emma was mumbling something through Jack's hand and was trying to break free. I hear a thud then hear "Eew! Emma why'd you lick me?!"

"So you'd put me down you idiot!" I heard Emma yell while, I think, running up the stairs. Jack came back out while wiping his hand on his pant leg.

"Thanks a lot Emma." I heard him mumble under his breath. "So, would you like to come in?" He asks.

"It depends, Jackie." He scowls at me for calling him Jackie, "Is there anymore surprises you want me to know about?" I ask curiously while folding my arms and raising my eyebrow.

"Well, I do have a 14-year-old brother named Jamie and a 6-year-old sister named Sophie." He says while putting his hand on the back of his neck and leaning against the door frame. I must admit, he looks HOT when he does that. Wait, did I really just think that?

"Okay fine! I'll go in! But only because we need to work on that project." I say while walking in. I think he's getting flustered. Maybe he does like me. I don't know, maybe it's the reverse. I think to myself. I look around Jack's house. It's a lot bigger on the inside than I thought!

"You want something to eat?" He asks.

"Um...sure. What do you have?" I ask.

"Anything you want! Just name it!" He exclaims.

"Okay. Do you have any chocolate?"

"You girls and your chocolate! I will never understand you guys!" Jack says while handing me a M&M chocolate bar.