Bright Orange

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excuse the Mistakes.

Dedicated to chocolatetime because she is too damn sweet!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Now let me get this straight; you got a text from Miss Dawson's phone giving you the address of the warehouse, and you go there without question. When you got there, you find her shot and a bunch of other men dead or wounded. Then, you called the ambulance."

I nodded silently, and the cop scribbled something on his notepad. The police had shown up about ten minutes after I'd finished called Sawyer's grandma and my mom. For the past hour, they'd been asking me what I knew about Marcus, who last name was apparently Crowe, and how I'd been at the warehouse with all of the men.

That said, they didn't seem too concerned with the small holes in my story. I think that the cops were just happy that someone as dangerous and powerful as Marcus was off the street.

"Can I go now?" I said, "My parents are probably here and worried about me."

"Sure, kid," the cop replied, "Make sure the doctor knows to call me when Miss Dawson wakes up so that I can get her statement."

"Yeah," I said, and I bolted from the small room I'd been questioned in. I hurried past the vending machines to the waiting room. As soon as my mom's eyes met mine, she was out of her chair and wrapping her arms around me.

"Oh my god!" she breathed, "Are you alright? Thank god you're safe!"

"I'm fine, Mom," I replied, "Really." I squeezed her tightly, and I looked past her. Sawyer's grandma, Aggie, was standing up next her seat, her worried eyes locked on my mom and me. "Mom, I need to talk to Sawyer's grandma. I'll be right back."

I pulled out of her embrace and stepped over to Aggie. "What happened?" she asked, her clear blue eyes searching my face for hints. "What's wrong with my granddaughter?"

I hesitated before answering, since I didn't know the best way to break it to her. "She has a broken wrist, a couple broken bones, and some internal bleeding." I paused before adding, "And she was shot in the shoulder."

Aggie gasped, and she fell back into the chair and put a hand to her heart. "Dear lord," she whispered, and a tear rolled down the side of her cheek.

"She's in surgery right now," I said, settling down in the seat across from Aggie. "One of the nurses promised to keep me fully informed."

"This is all her father's fault," Aggie murmured, "He brought her into this mess, and he almost got her killed."

I looked away, unsure of what to say to her. Deep down, I agreed with her. Sawyer's father's debt was the reason she'd been kidnapped, and by extension, he was the reason she'd been shot. His choices had almost cost Sawyer her life, and I don't think that I would ever be able to forgive that.

You know, since I love her.

I stayed seated for a minute, but after listening to Aggie mumble under her breath about how much she hated Sawyer's father, I decided I needed a drink. I got some money from my mom, who was sitting a few chairs down from Aggie, and then made my way over to the vending area.

I inserted the two dollars into the coffee machine and pressed a button. As I waited for the coffee, I placed my forehead on the humming machine and sighed loudly.

"Hey bro."

I glanced to my right to find Jake leaning against the snack machine, his arms crossed over his chest. He had a sympathetic look on his face, and I groaned. "How's your girl?" he asked, and I just shook my head.