Chapter 7

Everything they needed from the attic was placed in front of them on the kitchen table. Even their duffel bags with their belongings in them were placed on the table. The Boys gaped at it all not knowing quite what to say.

"Say thank you," Robert spoke calmly,"and I will have a detailed explanation of just what is going on when you're done with whatever it is you are doing!"

"Um, uh thanks," Howie stuttered, "How did you know we were gonna come back for this stuff?"

"You all seemed pretty intent on searching for it, and for some reason I don't believe when you say that what happened up in the attic was an acccident."

"We didn't push him, Robert. Please believe us,"Brian was tired of trying to convince people. Were they bad enough people for someone to actually think that they would try to take Nick's life from him?

"Oh, I believe you,"Robert nodded quickly,"There was never any doubt in my mind."

"Then why did you tell the police about hearing me and Nick yelling at each other?"AJ asked,"They think that I.."

"I know what they think, and I tried to explain it to them. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have even said anything. Anyway they want to search the attic, and the crates, so I took the liberty of gathering together all of the things it looked like you guys were studying."

"Parcheesi,"Brian laughed, remembering Nick's fascination with the old game. He picked up the board game and placed it under his arm.

"Why Robert? Why are you helping us? And why do you believe us? Nick's family can't quite believe us, and they know us! You don't. Why would you believe us?" AJ was looking Robert dead straight in the eyes.

Robert looked back just as intensely, "My mother didn't tell you much about me, did she? I have a keen interest in parapsychology, even a minor degree. I used to travel places around the world to study supposed supernatural occurrences. Sadly enough for me to say, I have never come across a real one. Except for now. My mother sends me a packing crate full of old relics from a site in Germany that has interested me for years. As a boy I used to hear about the haunted mansion, but never really thought it existed. That is until 5 American youths were reported missing and found at the ruins of the old site in the middle of nowhere! Delirious, the police reports said they were, they rambled about monsters, and demons, and..."

"You knew who we were when you first agreed to let us come stay with you!" Brian yelled,"How could you keep that a secret? You knew exactly what we wanted! You knew about the whole thing and didn't tell us? Nick could still be here right now if you would have opened your mouth!" He had Robert by the collar.

"Brian, calm down," Howie said placing his hand on Brian's shoulder gently,"We're all upset. Lets just hear what Robert has to say."

"You bet we're gonna hear what Robert has to say,"AJ grumbled pulling out a chair.

Robert removed Brian's hands from his shirt,"Thank you Howie. I am sorry. I should have said something, but you would have all thought I was mad! You said it yourselves, you didn't remember anything that had happened. How would you have taken what I could have said to you?"

Kevin stared at him," That's true. We're not blaming you.."

"Speak for yourself,"AJ muttered," The cops don't think you threw Kaos out a 3rd story window, now do they?"

Howie threw AJ a warning look, then he turned back to Robert, "Just what do you know about Chiros? Can you tell us anything useful?"