Chapter 10

I turned left a red building, an apartment, I thought. Alice would properly like the flowers. I looked down at the bouquet of pink roses in my hand. I had only been home at Alice's once before, I just hoped she still lived there! She properly did? I stopped up in front of another red apartment. I read the sign with names of residents on the door. Alice Sack. Perfect! I ringed on the door, and speaker was turned on.
-"Hello Alice, it's Anton?" I said a bit nervous.
-"Anton? I only know one Anton, and he's in the Gestapo?" My throat got dry. How did she know that? I hadn't spoken to her in two years?
-"Yes, but I'm here." I replied. The door opened. I walked nervous in. In the hallway there was a picture of a plan of the building's architecture, and names of the residents and on what floor they lived. Alice Sack, 3rd floor. I walked by, went up the stairs and stopped up on third floor. I read on the door to the left, Mr. Hans Katz. I walked over to the door at the right side. Miss Alice Sack. I ringed on the door. The door opened, and revealed a girl, with peach skin, long blond hair and a pair of blue eyes. She smiled. Alice has changed so much in appearance, from the girl in school I remembered. In school, she had always been this outspoken girl, with light skin, short blond hair and a childish face. Now she had grown to be a woman.
-"Anton, come on in." Alice stepped aside. I passed by her in the doorway, and entered a living room with pink walls and white coaches. There was a grey Persian cat sitting on the floor. "It's ages ago. Weren't you in the Gestapo?" Alice closed the door behind me.
-"How did you know?" I replied. The grey Persian cat was still starring at me.
-"Your mother told me. I asked for you." Alice sat down in one of the two white coaches.
-"Pierre is in the Gestapo too." I turned to Alice.
-"Of course, you two are inseparable. Come, sit down." Alice clapped next to herself on coach. I smiled awkwardly, and sat down next to her in the coach. -"So, why aren't you in the Gestapo now?" Alice smiled at me.
-"That's why I'm here about to discuss." I folded my hands nervously in my lap. Alice looked surprise at me.
-"What do you mean, Anton?" I looked around in her living room. No pictures or posters of Hitler or the Nazi party or anything related to them. I took a deep breathe. I had to tell her now. If she was against it, and would report me, then I had to have plan b. I looked around for a window. Two close to me. I could jump out of one of them. We was on the third floor, I would make it. I looked down at my hands. I had almost forgot the flowers!
-"I brought you something." I handed Alice the bouquet. Alice's face lightened up.
-"They're so pretty! Thank you so much, Anton. You shouldn't have!" Alice said excited and took them. I tried to smile at her, and act as normal as possible. Alice got up from the coach and walked over to a doorway.
-"I have to put them in water!" Alice's eyes shined. Alice walked through the doorway and I heard some water being turned on. -"At these times, I nearly never get any flowers." Alice said from the other room.
-"I'm happy you like them." I answered. Alice walked through the doorway again, this time with a blue vase with the pink roses in. She put them down on a desk by the corner in the living room. Alice flooded her arms and looked seriously at me.
-"Now, tell me, why you aren't in Gestapo and what it has to do with me?" I looked down at the floor. I had to try and see, if I had been right about Alice.
-"You know at Gestapo there's different departments, right?" Alice nodded. "I work in a department, where we only arrest people, and early this morning we was out arresting a family. The parents was caught in apartment, but I was outside guarding the backside of the apartment and a girl ran out of the basement door to me. She ran by me, and I ran by her. I caught her, but I was hit by her appearance. I promised her, I'd hide her, but I don't know anyone, who could hide her, because all the people I know is Nazis." I fumbled with my hands. Alice looked confused at me.
-"You thought of me, because of how I was at school?" Alice replied. I nodded, still too nervous to look her straight in the eyes. The window was close at me. All I had to do was to jump out of it and run. Alice sat down next to me in the coach. She put her hand on my jaw, and lifted my head carefully up, so I looked her into the eyes. Her eyes looked scared and concerned. "I can help you, if you want me to. I can hide her here with me. Nobody never visit me, I'm all by myself." Alice said quietly. I looked surprised at her. My eyes windend. A smiled appeared on my face.
-"Thank you so much!" I smiled widely and hugged her in the coach. "I have money for her stay," I pulled up the rest of my money from my trousers pocket, -"I have to pick her up at 9 tonight at the station. I'll bring her here, then." I kept smiling overwhelmed. Alice laughed.
-"I'm glad to help, Anton, but it has to be a secret. If the Gestapo or anyone else knows of this, we may risk being caught." Alice replied. I got myself together, and stopped smiling so widely.
-"I know." I took Alice's hand and put the money in her palm.