Chapter 9

Past

The van stopped right outside the Gestapo's headquarter. I rushed up from my seat. I heard the van's door open, and Mr. Gyrowetz stepped out of the van. I jumped out of the vain. -"What's the fuss for Mr. Engel?" Mr. Gyrowetz wondered. I didn't at all feel like talking to that psycho, so I ran ahead of the headquarter's building. -"Mr. Engel!" Mr. Gyrowetz jailed after me, but I didn't for once stop up. I reached the building's door and went inside. -"Engel?" Mr. Ulm said surprised, as I nearly had run into him. -"Mr. Ulm." I replied and tried to smile, and not sound that out of breathe. -"Where's the rest of your group?" I took a deep breathe to control my breathing. -"They're outside, I just went ahead of them, Mr. Ulm." I nodded. Mr. Ulm raised an eyebrow. -"Mr. Engel!" I heard through the glass door. I turned around, and saw Mr. Gyrowetz hurrying to the door. -"Excuse me, Mr. Ulm, but I'm quiet tried." I quickly said and walked away, before Mr. Ulm answered me. I ran down the hallway. I could still hear myself promising Isabell to meet me 'at 9 o'clock tonight at Frankfurt's station.' I reached my dorm, grabbed onto to the door and rushed inside. -"Mr. Engel!" Mr Gyrowetz' voice jailed from the hallway. I shut the door so hard, it made an awful ego and then I locked the door. -"Mr. Engel, get out of your dorm, your little piece of shit!" Mr. Gyrowetz hammered on the door. I felt most like shouting back to him, he should go fuck himself, but I couldn't. I knew my only home was Gestapo. I could never go home, because I would be coming home with nothing, and I had to send my family money, besides my father would break completely down. Finally had my father become a bit more happier in his life after the war, and I couldn't bare to ruin him. I had to make something out of my family's name, Engel, just like my father had asked of me. Besides, it wasn't because I was killing anyone or anything. The only thing I did was arresting people, who would be imprisoned and so what? Then they were just in prisons, just like so many other people. I couldn't do much else, Mr.  Gyrowetz began knocking on my dorm's door, -"Sorry, sir, but I feel awfully sick." I jailed through the locked door. -"Sick? Mr. Engel you were perfectly fine before, and your behaviour needs an explanation and a lesson!" Mr. Gyrowetz kept hammering on my door.

Suddenly it stroke me. The clock!? I looked up at the clock hanging above the door. It was 10 in the morning. Shit!" I thought and rushed to my closet. I had to figure out a plan for Isabell's whereabouts. Where could she stay? I had promised her a safe place, and here I was ironic enough, her greatest enemy. Where could I hide her in Berlin? I slicked my platin blond hair back. I had to disappear for a few hours, to find a place for Isabell. I had to be someone else for a few hours, or maybe for each time Isabell would be needing me? I opened my closet in a rush, and grabbed onto some of the uniforms and threw them out on the floor. Bloody, didn't I have any civil clothing anymore!? Come on, I knew I had arrived to the headquarter for the first time in my civil clothing, so it had to be in here somewhere! I threw more and more clothing on the ground.
-"Open the door, right away, Mr. Engel!" Mr. Gyrowetz kept jailing from outside my door. The hammering against the dorm's door, made me wonder if the door would last, or break. I had to hurry. I threw another uniform on the floor, and finally a pair of black trousers and a white t-shirt with a v-neck. I pulled down my pants and threw my uniform pants away. I continued, unbuttoned my uniform jacket, pulled my inner blouse off and threw them both next to my pants. I pulled my black trousers on and my v-neck t-shirt. -"What are you doing, Anton!?" I heard Pierre jailing from outside the door. I grabbed out for some money, I knew I had kept in my closet for emergencies. I had earned them, back then when I had worked in grocery store after school. I sighed, that had been a long time ago.
-"Get out now, Mr. Engel, or you'll regret it!" Mr. Gyrowetz shouted and hammered on the door. I opened the window in our dorm, and looked outside. Shit. There was a quite distance to the ground. I looked myself over the shoulder. -"Mr. Engel, I order you to open the door!" I heard another man shout. I wasn't sure, who it was. I looked out of the window. Then I crawled out of the window, jumped and landed on the ground. Shit. I had stretched myself on my angle, but I had to continue now. I got up from the ground, and began waking. Yes, I could still walk. I began tuning instead. -"Mr. Engel!" I heard Mr. Gyrowetz shout after me, looking out of the window. I continued running. The sun shined through my hair and it blinded my view. I ran across the road, through a field, till I came to another road. I saw a women walking her dog. I stopped up, and looked at the dog. It must have been a papillon, I thought. The sun now stood high above the sky. I took my hand up the forehead to make a shadow over my eyes. The women smiled polite at me, as she past by me. How could she not know, if I was Jewish? I looked down at myself. I was bony, skinny, or was I simply a wreck? I was pale, sickly, looked like someone, who never saw daylight, and perhaps I never really did? Perhaps I was blinded by my ideals? Hitler's ideals and ideas? My v-neck t-shirt, showing my masculine strong, though bony chest, and stomach. My slim shadow on the road, the platin blond hair, that seemed white in the sun and the blue eyes that faded too? Didn't I look Jewish? Did I look like a Nazi just by my appearances? But I wasn't even wearing an uniform? I bite my lips. I had to find a place for Isabell.

I ran to the inner city, the sun kept shining, like a spotlight keeping an eye on me. I stopped up next to post office. Did I know anyone in Berlin, beside from my family? I couldn't hide Isabell in my parents' house, my father believed Hitler. But didn't I believe him myself? A headache suddenly came to my head. I took myself to the head, squeezed my teethes together. What was I doing? Hiding a Jewish girl from our leader, when I was a Nazi myself? But how could Isabell be so dangerous to us? How could she be trash and worthless compared to us? She was the most beautiful creature, I had ever seen. How could she be so bad? She didn't seem evil at all or trashy either. She didn't seem to be any of the things Hitler and Nazi party said about the Jews? I looked up at the sun. It only made my headache worse. I knew Pierre's parents too in Berlin, but they were bigger worshippers of the Nazi party, then my father, so they were no solution either. I turned around and looked around at the people crossing the streets, waking in and out of stores. Could I ask any of them? Could I trust them? I already knew the answer to that question. I had to find someone, I knew I could trust. Someone, I knew didn't particularly believe in the Nazi party. Perhaps anywhere, not just in Berlin. But the truth was I didn't know so many people outside of Berlin. What about our arrest orders? Had I been somewhere, where there was people, who was in the resistance group? But would they even help me, when they knew I was a officer? I thought, like a crazy. Suddenly it hit me. Alice. Alice was a girl, I knew from school. She always used to preach about Hitler's absurdity and unjustified accusations against the Jewish population. She was perfect! She lived some streets away, and luckily on her own. That meant there wouldn't be any nosy parents. I walked over to a street seller, who was selling flowers. I had to give Alice something, I thought. I nodded at the elderly man sitting on a chair, smiling at me. He nodded back at me. I looked at the flowers in different colours and species.
-"The pink roses, please?" I nodded at the bouquet of pink roses. The man took up the roses from a bowl with water. I took up some money from trousers pocket. I handed the man the few coins, and he gave me the flowers. I walked on by the street. How would I explain Alice my situation? Like, hello Alice, do you mind hiding a Jewish girl, I believe I have fallen for, because you always seemed to hate the Nazi party in school, so I thought you wouldn't tell about it? I rolled my eyes. Nice, Anton! I thought. The sun had become easier on me. My very pale skin wasn't that a good friend with the sun. It always used to get sun burned.