Heard

Calad grinned at the sight of Siphrah's stunned expression.

  "Now, now," he said smothering his laughter. "You should have known I would feel the pull of another one born." he shook his head. "Come on, now, Siphrah, you know me better than that."

Siphrah continued to just stare at him.

  Calad shrugged, "Come now, Siphrah, it's time to give me the little deary."

  Now Siphrah moved. Holding the little infant closer, she said; "No."

  "Ah well..." Calad muttered,  "I'll just have to take her by force."

  Siphrah froze even more solidly than before, just at the simplicity of his statement. Which in turn left the space clear for him to act.

  Calad jumped at Siphrah, and, with a little shove, he was able to make the unmoving Siphrah fall to the ground, and safely relocating the little deary into his arms. Then he left Siphrah there.

  "This is your own fault, Siphrah." Calad tsked. "Watch your step." He turned and sprinted through the Wood, seeking escape.

   After hours of non-stop running, Calad finally stopped with the setting of the sun. Making camp in the middle of nowhere wasn't good. Calad vowed to continue at first light.

  Finally, laying down on the ground he stretched out, and yawned. The little deary was on his chest. Still unmoving. Passing into dreamless dreams, Calad slept.

~~~~

  Not far from Calad's camp did activity occur.  Of all of the Silence-born there was only one who could wield majick. He craved that power. He had craved that power so much, he turned himself to the Dark.

Thane.

   He is the Silence's dreaded Bane of Existence. He was the absolute first to be born dead. His once light colored hair and trademark gold in the eyes had to pitch-black hair and bronze eyes. His voice had turned Dark as well.

  Moving quietly as of dust, Thane approached Calad's inert form.

   "Time to pay, yo--" he froze at the sound. The sound of a heart. Beating heart. Thane cocked his head. It wasn't Calad's slow-thumping heart of sleep. It was a quick-flutter of waking.

  But... it wasn't Calad.

  Crouching down, Thane got closer. Ah. That's it. Not Calad, but the little infant. He grinned widely. Feast Time. On today's menu...Fresh Silence-born.

  He moved closer yet; his hands stretching, itching, forward. He moaned softly; his prize so close!

Then ... movement.

  Calad was awake.

And soon he wasn't alone. Two more shadowed forms sprang forward protectively. One knocked Thane away; the other snatching up the little one.

  Thane growled, making his anger known. Silence's Bane scrambled back as light began to peak  through the trees. It illuminated not only Calad, but Siphrah and Shanar, who held the infant. But the light wasn't sunlight.

  Mother Silence had made herself known. Her wings moved slowly; her tail of ribbon lashed the air, and her shining eyes bore into Thane.

Daring him. Tempting him to make his move...

  Soon the little one would start screaming. Soon she would flail in Shanar's arms.

  'Thane!' Mother Silence screeched telepathicly.

"Silence!" he shouted back.

The brilliance of Mother Silence was becoming too much for Thane. He stepped back, shading his eyes against the flare of Light. Being part of the Dark had its consequences. Only traveling night. Light equalled pain.

  Thane fell back farther; one step at a time. With hardly a thump, Thane tripped and landed on his back, because of an unseen root. He was disgraceful now.

  Once the Light died away, leaving Thane alone in the Wood, did he move. He got up slowly,his muscles sluggish after too much exposure.

The clearing in front of him was empty.

  No Silence.

  No Calad,Shanar or Siphrah.

  Nor was there the infant.

  Thane growled in anger, and almost bellowed with frustration at the losses.

  His losses. He was so close.

  Thane swore. He vowed he would get that infant. Even if....

   That...

           ....was the last thing he did.

****