Chapter Sixteen

ROSE

"Are you fucking kidding me, Lucas, how long have you known this traitor was our enemy?" Kyle hisses, glaring daggers in Ethan's direction.

Lucas instinctively stands in front of Ethan who was visibly shaking. For a hunter had he never seen a vampire before?

"Stand down Kyle. Violence will get us nowhere."

Liam snorts, "yeah but it might get us some answers, I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm siding with the vampire."

I stay rooted to the sofa while Liam stands up ready to flank Kyle in case Ethan wasn't as harmless as he looked. Lucas's pleading eyes meet mine and I try to shake them off, I was pissed off at both him and Ethan for keeping me in the dark.

"Why would you betray us, Ethan? No offence but I've met hunters and you aren't one of them."

Ethan's fear slowly resides replaced by a rather guilty expression as he slumps in a nearby armchair looking defeated.

"If I did this then they promised I'd be a fully fledged hunter instead of some errand boy they treat like shit. I didn't expect to actually make friends and find a place to fit in, you all took me in and made me feel worth something."

Kyle scoffs, "poor baby, playing the wounded puppy dog look won't win you any favours."

I shake my head locking eyes with Ethan.

"How much have you told them Ethan? We know they're in town."

Ethan sighs, "I've been feeding them information, mainly little bits about Rose's growing knowledge of the supernatural world and getting close to the vampires and werewolves. They came to town two days ago."

We wanted to be two steps ahead of the hunters but it now looked like we were two steps behind whatever they were planning. Kyle advances forwards rage filling his black vampire eyes, but hits a shield Lucas put up around himself and Ethan.

"Why did they kill Josh?"

Lucas's shield manages to hold Kyle back. Ethan stands up and moves to the edge of the shield inches away from Kyle.

"They heard what happened to Rose and Alex wanted them dead for hurting her, plus the other hunters weren't going to turn down slaying vampires especially if they could get a message out to the vampires and werewolves."

"I'm sorry Kyle," I whisper, grabbing Kyle's full attention who shifts back to his normal human self.

"It's not your fault Rose, Josh was always a loose cannon but it sucks to lose more of my coven. It doesn't exactly look good on my track record."

I smile at the vampire who smiles back, at least I could take that guilt off my shoulders. Though I wouldn't show that I was secretly happy Alex still cared enough about me to kill vampires.

Lucas claps his hands together, "if I take this shield down can we all play nice?"

Liam nods as does Kyle and I. The shield vanishes and Ethan stays in place not wanting to show any fear despite the fact both Liam and Kyle could probably smell it on him.

"What are we going to do with Ethan? He's dangerous. If we let him go how do we know he won't go back to the hunters, Lucas. I mean he could sell you out to get extra brownie points."

Liam who had stayed relatively silent until now made a valid point. Ethan might look harmless, but a wolf in sheep clothing could be deceiving. Lucas for the first time looks towards his boyfriend, the gears turning in his head that Ethan could potentially sell him out if it meant his own survival. I had to come up with a solution that worked well for everyone.