Four

It was one night, two summers ago, when he became aware.

He didn't know how long he was tossing and turning around his sheets trying to get some sleep; he tends to overheat in summer nights and so he made it to a point to just wear less as possible for him to be able to fall asleep. It was when he frustratingly kicked the sheets of the bed when he heard the noise from the window.

He sighed; his best friend was breaking and entering again.

Sean stood up, making his way to the window and helped Kaycee get in without exchanging any words. Silently, Kaycee laid down her bag on the floor and removed her hoodie before making her way to Sean's bed, laying down at the side of his bed where she usually sleeps.

At times like these, Sean knows there's something bothering her. Countless times in the past she would sneak out of their house and sneak into his, to sleep beside him. Apparently, she finds comfort in his presence more than her own parents or twin, and these are the only moments Sean would see her silent and in deep thought. Sometimes it would be about trivial things – her favourite book fictional character died or the ice cream parlor ran out of her favourite flavour – but sometimes it's because she messed up her steps in dance class, she and Josh had a fight, or her attempt to have a female friend failed again. His heart breaks for her, too, but he couldn't help but think of these as his favourite moments because he only got to see this side of her.

"What's up?" Sean asked her, his voice soft, after giving her some time.

He knew Kaycee wasn't asleep; he could tell with the way she breathes even if her back was onto him. He could hear her sigh before she turned around, facing him. Sadness swirled in her eyes but she still wasn't saying anything. After a beat, she scooted over and laid her head on his bare chest, not minding that he wasn't wearing a shirt.

Sean didn't mind, too. They started cuddling when they were 15, only when the other is sad enough and needed comfort. And now, Kaycee needed his.

"Kino died an hour ago," she finally said, her voice cracking.

"Oh, Kayc," Sean breathed, and scooped the petite girl in his arms, rubbing her back. Soon, he could hear her sobbing against his chest, feeling her wet tears on his skin, and he tightened his hold on her. "I'm sorry."

It might seem trivial for some, but he knew how much her dog meant to her.

"I d-didn't know i-it f-feels like th-this wh-when you lose s-someone," she admitted, her voice breaking.

"Shhh. It's gonna be alright, Kayc," he said gently, taking her face, wiping her tears with his thumbs. He let her cry for a few minutes, listened to her painful sob and wiped every tear that fell from her eyes.

Then, her glistening, red-rimmed eyes met his, and he could feel his stomach twist into a very foreign sensation.

He knew Kaycee Rice is beautiful. He always thought that her smile brings comfort and is contagious even when he is in the baddest of mood. But right at that moment, with the absence of her smile and with tears in her beautiful clear brown eyes, for him she was stunning. Gone was the lanky Kaycee he knew; beside him on his bed, was a lady who grew curves and endless legs, that made him realize that she wasn't just a girl anymore.

And he became suddenly aware of how he is dressed – or lack thereof. They weren't just some kids in their awkward phase – they are slowly becoming a man and a woman. And it didn't help that Kaycee was beside him, looking all beautiful. He could feel a big ball in his throat realizing his thoughts; it wasn't the right time to think of those things, and she was certainly not the right person to think of like that.