Epilogue

Author's Note

I'm bad at endings. Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for reading this.

**********

"Hey, Rice!"

Kaycee broke from her trance as a high-pitched voice called, and she instantly felt an arm coiled around hers. She didn't even turn to confirm; she already knew who it was. She turned to see her friend and gave her a sad smile.

"I bought Thai iced tea. Just for you!" her friend chirped.

"Thanks," she said, taking the beverage and looked up ahead again as they resumed their walk through the school grounds.

"I also bought you a pretzel, and your favorite! Cronuts –"

"Tahani," she said, facing her as she quirked a brow. "You know very well that we're cutting down this week. Are you trying to make us gain weight? Ms. Chavez is going to kill us," a small smile played on her lips.

Tahani huffed and smiled at her sweetly. "Of course not! I just want to cheer you up," she grinned.

Kaycee couldn't help but let out a faint smile. It was a good thing that by the start of her first year at the Tisch, she made friends with another transferee by the name of Tahani Anderson and they have been inseparable ever since. Kaycee wouldn't deny that it was weird for her to make friends with a girl, having to grow up with boys, but soon realized that it was kind of refreshing.

She realized girl best friends know you like the back of their hand; they could exactly feel what you're feeling even without telling them. She thought she got used to her guy friends' bluntness, but she guessed she had just missed a whole lot of a girl's depth of emotional understanding and companionship. Now, she wouldn't want to trade it for the world.

But then again, she wouldn't have met and gone all those things, experienced those whirlwind of emotions four years ago with her guy best friend. She took a deep breath and shook her head.

"I still don't get why you get this gloomy this time of the year –yes, I do notice everything, K. I just don't want to be annoying about it," Tahani rolled her eyes as Kaycee gave her a look. The latter was an open person but about that one thing. "Do you have a boyfriend back at home that I don't know about? And he broke your heart? Is this like your...break-up anniversary or something?"

Kaycee let out an incredulous laugh. "Why would someone even remember a break-up date?" she asked aloud. "And for the record, no, I don't have a boyfriend back at home. We talked about this, T."

"What about the picture in your wallet that you keep on staring at but you don't let me see? Hmm?" Tahani pried.

Kaycee sighed, bowing her head. "It's not a boyfriend. It's just..." she took a deep breath. "My best friend."

"Is this best friend a girl or boy?"

Kaycee shook her head, knowing where this is going. "He's a dude."

"Ha!" Tahani exclaimed. "So if he's just a best friend, why don't you let me look at the picture?"

"He's ugly," Kaycee said quickly, wanting to veer the topic away from him.

"I call bull," Tahani deadpanned. "You wouldn't be staring at his picture if he doesn't look like a freakin' snack. You're practically drooling with a longing look in your eyes –"

"No, I'm definitely not drooling. I'm drilling holes on his face and is hoping he chokes on his drink, food or tongue, wherever he is," Kaycee frowned, rolling her eyes.