Chapter 4

I had to miss group therapy yesterday because I wasn't feeling well, but Mom wouldn't let me stay home from school. I don't know why, though, because she pays for therapy, but she doesn't pay for my schooling. I wasn't looking forward to school today because I learned that Liam is now attending my school. Most days I don't care about school.

I don't know why Liam was making me nervous, I hated that he tried to talk to me. I don't like having friends, I always seem to mess things up. All I know is that I wasn't ready for him to jump up beside me as soon as I got inside the school building.

"Hello!" he said brightly, falling into step with me. I glance at him and wave as I continue to walk to down the hallway.

"You need a nickname, I can't keep calling you Amethyst," Liam says randomly, throwing his hands up. I don't know why he was being so dramatic.

"Why? Is there something wrong with my name?" I question lightly, opening up my locker once we reach it.

"We're friends aren't we? And don't friends give each other nicknames?" he raised his eyebrows at me. I pulled out what I needed for class before answering.

"I didn't know we were friends. I also don't know how friends act because I've never had a friend before," is all I say before closing my locker and skipping off to class. Why did I say that to him? I don't tell people stuff. Then again, no one has really asked before.

I reach my class as the bell rings, but I don't really care. The bells were too loud and obnoxious, no one wants to be bossed around by inanimate objects. I sit down in my seat next to the window and watch little rain droplets drip down the window. I wonder if any of them like to race each other?

I always like to find families in the drops, I try to find parents and kids. It's quite fun, and it gets me out of paying attention to the teacher drone on about boring announcements that don't apply to me. Again the bell rings and I head off to Pre-Cal.

"Amethyst!" Liam greets me as I slide into my seat.

"Oh, hello," I say not looking at him, my fingers start up their tapping instantly. I quickly pull out my sunflower notebook and purple pencil.

"Are you going to the game on Friday?" he asks me, and I give him a blank stare. A game? What game?

"You know, the football game?" Liam raises his eyebrows up, I think he was trying not to laugh. I don't know why he would be laughing, though.

"Why would I go to something as pointless as a football game. Plus, there is group therapy on Fridays. Did you forget?" I start to do the problems that the teacher had put on the board for us to complete.

"I didn't forget," is all he says before sliding back into his seat and facing forwards.

The teacher starts calling out names for the attendance, and I don't pay attention to it until he calls out "William Jones" and Liam says here. I snap my head in his direction. Is his real name William and he has let me call him Liam this whole time. He knows I don't like nicknames, I thought he wanted to be friends. Guess not.

"Amethyst Tyler?"

"Here" I sing out before looking back at William. He glances over at me, and I just narrow my eyes.

"William?" I whisper at him.

"You haven't actually called me Liam before, so there was never a chance to correct you," he says shrugging.

"Well then, William, I guess you don't have to correct me now," I say turning back to my work. I wait for the teacher to say where he wants our work turned in before getting up and handing him the paper of completed math problems.