Three

After about fifteen minutes, when Lawrence had calmed down a little, Doctor Peters asked him if he would like to see Ava. He gave a positive response, then they went to Ava's ward.

She decided to give them some privacy as she knew they had things to talk about.

Immediately Doctor Peters walked out, Lawrence took slow steps towards Ava who was on the hospital bed with her eyes shut. She looked very pale and one could conclude that she was very sick. Her hair was wrapped with a sky blue scarf which matched her hospital gown. She had drips connected to her right hand.

Lawrence wasn't sure if he should wake her up or not. He eventually took a seat on the empty chair beside her bed and kept on watching her sleep. Unconsciously, he caressed her right hand which caused Ava to blink her eyes.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up." He mumbled, guilt evident in his voice.

"You came?" She whispered, with brimming tears.

Ava was surprised he was here as she was already thinking her child would end up in the orphanage when she's no more.

"Yes I'm here." he managed to reply. Things were silent for a while between the both of them as they kept on staring at each other before Ava broke the Silence.

"He's so beautiful" She whispered with tears in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Ava. Sorry I was never there when you both needed me. I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have replied you the way I did several months ago. Please forgive me." Lawrence said as he wiped a tear that rolled down his cheeks.

Ava nodded her head, biting her lower tongue to stop the sound of her tears.

"I never wanted to call you. But again, I felt you had a right to know about the existence of your child." She spoke as she wiped away her tears with the back of her palm.

"And I was so stupid for not believing you" he replied

"Perhaps if I had reacted to the whole situation in a very mature manner, you and our child would not be going through all these."

"I saw him, Ava. He's so tiny and looks very weak. I will never forgive myself if anything happens to him. I will never be at peace if anything happens to the both of you." Lawrence sniffled.

Ava had a sad smile on her lips as she took Lawrence's cold hands into hers and said "he will survive this. He's a fighter."

She looked into his eyes and said "he has your eyes. So beautiful."

Lawrence chuckled in tears "I know"

"So how did you cope all these while?" he asked her as he helped her into a sitting position on the bed and he took a seat beside her on the bed. The two of them facing each other.

"It wasn't easy but I tried everything I could. Usually, I did three jobs but I ended up getting fired in two because the pregnancy took a toll on me, again with my health issues, I was always falling sick."

"But I tried to manage the little income I earned as a waitress. Sometimes I got a huge tip and sometimes I got nothing. So I prioritize my spending. You know, for the rent and food. As a pregnant woman, I was fortunate to get free health care throughout my pregnancy till delivery but I was still depressed because I had debts to pay."

"My father was a gambler, he died leaving me alone to clear all his debt. Also, I couldn't afford the prescribed medication for my heart condition because they were way too expensive."

"I'm so sorry for all you went through."

"How did you get my contact?" he asked.

"When you left that night, I found your complimentary card on the floor. That was when I even discovered who you really were. Then when I found out I was pregnant, I never wanted to inform you because I had a feeling you were going to react the way you did. But I just felt I should do my part by informing you about the baby and then it was up to you to believe or not." she said.